2802#2802 - Sunday, April 29, 2007 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Apr 30, 2007
      #2802 - Sunday, April 29, 2007 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      One: Essential Writings on Nonduality http://nonduality.com/one.htm

      Nondual Highlights

      When someone asks
      what there is to do,
      light the candle in their hand.
      --Rumi

      This is a bhakti issue, and concludes with two very moving videos. The Heart Sutra chant is accompanied by Hubble images from space. The music for the Amma video is Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah. Oh yes, and the "darshan of food".

      "We sit in this courtyard, two forms,
      shadow outlines with one soul,

      birdsound, leaf moving, early evening
      star, fragrant damp, and the sweet

      sickle curve of moon.  You and I in a
      round, unselved idling in the garden-

      beauty detail.  The raucous parrots
      laugh, and we laugh inside laughter,

      the two of us on a bench in Konya, yet
      amazingly in Khorasan and Iraq as well,

      friends abiding this form, yet also
      in another outside of time, you and I."

      -- Rumi

      From the book: "The Soul of Rumi," published by Harper, SanFrancisco.
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0861710525/angelinc
      posted to Daily Dharma

      a poem for Bob and Mazie...

      The Gardeners

      In the spring she
      drops the seeds, he
      covers them. He
      digs up the weeds.
      She cuts the flowers.
      She takes the blooms
      and puts them in
      every room. They soar
      red from the tables, sprout
      yellow from the shelves,
      hang purple from
      the ceiling, blue
      from the edges of
      lampshades. Clusters
      of flowers sit in
      tiny pots on every
      windowsill, in open
      cupboards, behind
      the sink. He stands
      beside her as she tosses
      all the wilted leaves
      into a rusty bucket.
      This house is heaven's
      door, the air gathering
      the bashful smells of
      blossoms, roots, cut
      stems, wet dirt, new
      and rotting leaves.

      -- Jack Ridl, from Broken Symmetry

      "everything illumines"  by Yuanwu
      slideshow by Bob O'Hearn

      Roy Whenary:

      Thanks Ben ...
      Yes, South Indian food (as well as Salad Vegetables) are my
      favourite foods. Unfortunately, the nearest South Indian Restaurant
      is just over 100 miles away!

      Yeah, here we have none at all. There are some Indian restaurants in Hasselt, Maatricht, Liege and Aachen but they are mostly Tandoori restaurants.
      There is one Southern Indian restaurant in Amsterdam; they even sell vegetarian dosa.
      The best South Indian food I ate in, well, tah tah, South India...(surprise, surprise!)
      And of all the places I ate the best food was in the Ramanashramam, Anandaashram of swami Ramdas (not to be confused with Ramdass of Be Here Now), and in the ashram of sri sadhu Om also in Tiru. There lives a Lady there in ashram of sadhu Om and she gives her 'darshan' through food. There is a story behind this.
      When I was there the last time I was reading some works by sadhu Om. I went to the samadhi of Muruganar and sadhu Om and did pradakshina of their tombs. The day before my departure a friend there, Rumi, a Tamil man--I lived in his compound at the time--told me I could go there for books and food. The Lady there brought the food and I ate it. I felt that when I ate the food it was a blessing or darshan.
      Also Yogi Ramsuratkumarashram had very good food--also darshan through food.
      Basically it had the same quality as the food my mother cooks! The most important ingredients being love and attention. My mother cooks sattvica food. She is also vegetarian.
      Sri Ramana was also involved with the kitchen work. He did this so his teaching would be eaten by the residents and visitors!
      At least, that is my conviction. When I read the Power of the Presence series my intuition about this was confirmed.
      In those books one can learn a lot about what was going on there at the time Sri Ramana still lived there in his bodily form. He was not at all the silent, aloof jnani some people think. He was also a great bhakta, like a Mother, always keen on the well-being of his visitors.
      Sometimes when visitors came and he was doing construction work, or whatever was being done at the moment he said: 'I have to go back to jail.' He felt imprisoned sometimes.
      There is one story I recently read. There was a western devotee (one of the more early ones) he came to stay in the ashram for some time. And Bhagavan would go and see him in his hut and scanned through his belongings and asking questions about them. Most things were probably manufactured in the West, so Sri Ramana was curious like a child.
      One day, the western devotee had put a chair in the hut so Sri Ramana could sit on it like the 'guru.' After this happened  he never came again.
      I find there is a lot to learn from sages and their teachings through their everyday interactions with people and the world around them. When I read the Power of the Presence many things became very clear to me. Things were put into perspective. Sometimes it was like a was actually there. This is not so strange, the Indonesian man, my first teacher once told me how he saw the last day of Sri Ramana before his mahasamadhi. He could hear devotees whisper and later on the chanting of Arunachala Shiva. It happened to him in a dream. When he told me this tears ram down his cheeks and he was staring into empty space as if the thing was still happening right in front of him. He was actually there.
      Also, in Anandaaahram in Kerala, there was one brahmin, a very old man and I felt he was a sage, a bhakta. He came to me and showed me a secret spot where I could smoke! When I was smoking he was standing there watching me curiously like a child.
      He was really looking after us. He ran around and brought us fruit, towels etc. and was asking whether there was anything we needed and so on. He was very curious and liked to talk with us. He looked like an orthodox South Indian brahmin but really, he was as innocent as a child, he was really a child of God. His Ram Nam was something I will never forget. I think he had a stroke because his ability to speak was impaired. But his Ram Nam was very powerful. He gave us darshan by his simple care and attention. I felt that Sri Ramana was like this man. It is hard to explain. I am so very grateful these things happened to us.
      This old brahmin, when he was near me I could feel my blind spots. It was as if by his mere presence impurities just washed away and all I could feel was ananda. Hence: the Power of the Presence. So by writing this story I express my gratitude and offer it.

      Love and regards,

      Ben.

      OM SRI RAM JAY RAM JAYA JAYA RAM

      Heart Sutra    or paste

      Ananthasree, the maker of this video for Amma, wrote the following description:

      An offering at the feet of my guru. This montage is symbolic of the intricacies of the guru-shishya relationship. It primarily represents devotion, and the desperate longing to merge with the Beloved, or God.

      The song is Hallelujah, composed by Leonard Cohen and performed by Jeff Buckley. The lyrics have a depth that can be explored again and again, and deep religious and philosophical undertones, which moved me more than words can say.

      This is my visual poem to my guru. I put it out into the world in the event that it is another persons poem as well. If it is, enjoy.

      Hallelujah stems from the word halal, plus the particle u, meaning 'and' or 'with', and jah, which is short for Yahweh, the Name of God. Halal means 'to shine,' and is most often ascribed to stars.

      Hallelujah means: shine with God!

      link posted by Bob O'Hearn on GardenMystics