2744#2744 - Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Feb 28, 2007
      #2744 - Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      Nondual Highlights

      Just put thoughts to rest and don't seek outwardly anymore.
      When things come up, then give them your attention;
      just trust what is functional in you at present,
      and you have nothing to be concerned about.

      --Linji (d.867?)

      In the case of archery, the hitter and the hit are no longer two
      opposing  objects, but are one reality.... Zen is the everyday mind, as
      was proclaimed  by Baso (Ma-tsu, died 788); this everyday mind is no
      more than sleeping when  tired, eating when hungry. As soon as we
      reflect, deliberate, and  conceptualize, the original unconsciousness is
      lost and a thought interferes.  We no longer eat while eating, we no
      longer sleep while sleeping. The arrow  is off the string but does not
      fly straight to the target, nor does the target  stand where it is.
      Calculation which is miscalculation sets in.

      --D.T. Suzuki, in Eugen Herrigels Zen and the Art of Archery

      Mother of the Universe,
      I have no desire to exercise power.
      I would not even care to be an emperor.
      Sweet Mother, please grant me
      two simple meals each day
      and wealth enough to thatch the palm roof
      of my clean earthen house,
      where I offer dreaming and waking
      as red flowers at your feet

      --Ramprasad
      From "Teachings of the Hindu Mystics," by Andrew Harvey

      As a blind man feels when he finds a pearl in a dustbin, so am I amazed
      by the miracles of awakening rising in my consciousness. It is the nectar
      of immortality that delivers us from death, the treasure that lifts us
      from death, the treasure that lifts us above poverty into the wealth of
      giving to life, the tree that gives shade to us when we roam about
      scorched by life, the bridge that takes us across the stormy river of
      life, the cool moon of compassion that calms our mind when it is
      agitated, the fun that dispels darkness, the butter made from the milk
      of kindness by churning it with the dharma. It is a feast of joy to which
      all are invited.

      --adapted from the Bodhicharyavatara by Shantideva

      Sabbaths 1999, VII

      Again I resume the long
      lesson: how small a thing
      can be pleasing, how little