2486#2486 - Wednesday, May 31, 2006

  • markotter
    May 31, 2006

      Nondual Highlights Issue #2486, Wednesday, May 31, 2006

      You condemn yourself for being distracted.
      You notice the self condemnation.
      You return to the breathing.

      - Bhanteji, posted to DailyDharma

      The fire that iron or gold needs -
      would it be good for fresh quinces and apples?
      The apple and quince are just slightly raw;
      unlike iron, they need only a gentle heat.
      But gentle flames are not enough for iron;
      it eagerly draws to itself the fiery dragon's breath.
      That iron is the dervish who bears hardship:
      under the hammer and fire, he happily glows red.

      -Rumi, Mathnawi II: 827-830, version by Camille and Kabir Helminski, from Rumi: Daylight, posted to Sunlight

      Do not sit long with a sad friend.
      When you go to a garden,
      do you look at thorns or flowers?
      Spend more time with roses and jasmine.

      - Rumi, version by Coleman Barks, from Open Secret, posted to AlongTheWay

      Leave the familiar for a while.
      Let your senses and bodies stretch out

      Like a welcomed season
      Onto the meadows and shores and hills...
      Open up to the Roof.

      Like a blooming night flower,
      Bestow your vital fragrance of happiness
      And giving
      Upon our intimate assembly.

      Change rooms in your mind for a day.

      All the hemispheres in existence
      Lie beside an equator
      In your heart.

      Greet Yourself
      In your thousand other forms
      As you mount the hidden tide and travel
      Back home.

      All the hemispheres in heaven
      Are sitting around a fire
      Chatting

      While stitching themselves together
      Into the Great Circle inside of
      You.

      - Hafiz, translation Ladinsky, Hemispheres, posted to Poetic_Mysitcism

      Little Summer Poem Touching the Subject of Faith

      Every summer
      I listen and look
      under the sun's brass and even
      into the moonlight, but I can't hear

      anything, I can't see anything -
      not the pale roots digging down, nor the green stalks muscling up,
      nor the leaves
      deepening their damp pleats,

      nor the tassels making,
      nor the shucks, nor the cobs.
      And still,
      every day,

      the leafy fields
      grow taller and thicker -
      green gowns lofting up in the night,
      showered with silk.

      And so, every summer,
      I fail as a witness, seeing nothing -
      I am deaf too
      to the tick of the leaves,

      the tapping of downwardness from the banyan feet -
      all of it
      happening
      beyond any seeable proof, or hearable hum.

      And, therefore, let the immeasurable come.
      Let the unknowable touch the buckle of my spine.
      Let the wind turn in the trees,
      and the mystery hidden in the dirt

      swing through the air.
      How could I look at anything in this world
      and tremble, and grip my hands over my heart?
      What should I fear?

      One morning
      in the leafy green ocean
      the honeycomb of the corn's beautiful body
      is sure to be there.

      - Mary Oliver, from West Wind: Poems and Prose Poems

      .

      "Twilight" by Helena Nelson-Reed, by kind permission.

      More of Helena's wonderful art can be seen at: http://www.fine-art-studios.com/intro.html