2161#2161 - Wednesday, June 1, 2005

  • mark otter
    Jun 1, 2005

      Nondual Highlights Issue #2161 Wednesday, June 1, 2005

      Outside, the freezing desert night.
      This other night inside grows warm, kindling.
      Let the landscape be covered with thorny crust.
      We have a soft garden in here.
      The continents blasted, cities, towns, everything
      become a scorched, blackened ball.
      The news we hear is full of grief
      for that future,
      but the real news inside here
      is there's no news at all.

      - Rumi, from Open Secret, versions by Coleman Barks, Threshold Books, 1984, posted to AlongTheWay

      A Prayer Before Dying

      Creator God.
      I believe in your love
      and forgiveness.
      So today
      I chose to face life
      witout fear and to live
      wholeheartedly in the
      present moment.
      I accept all as a gift
      and ask to find you Lord
      present in the gift.
      May my heart sing today
      A song of joyful thanks
      and praise.

      Amen.

      - Sister Irene McCormack.taken from The Mountain Path, Jayanti Issue 2005, posted to MillionPaths

      Sister Irene McCormack was murdered in Nicaragua in the late 1970s. This prayer was discovered on her after the event,

      Sonnets to Orpheus, Part One, IV

      You who let yourselves feel: enter the breathing
      that is more than your own.
      Let it brush your cheeks
      as it divides and rejoins beside you.

      Blessed ones, whole ones,
      you where the heart begins:
      You are the bow that shoots the arrows
      and you are the target.

      Fear not the pain. Let its weight fall back
      into the earth;
      for heavy are the mountains, heavy the seas.

      The trees you planted in childhood have grown
      too heavy. You cannot bring them along.
      Give yourselves to the air, to what you cannot hold.

      - Rainer Maria Rilke, posted to Panhala

      Flower

      Pluck this little flower and take it, delay not! I fear lest it
      droop and drop into the dust.

      I may not find a place in thy garland, but honour it with a touch of
      pain from thy hand and pluck it. I fear lest the day end before I am
      aware, and the time of offering go by.

      Though its colour be not deep and its smell be faint, use this flower
      in thy service and pluck it while there is time.

      Rabindranath Tagore from Gitanjali

      To love God in the most practical way is to love our fellow beings. If we feel for others in the same way as we feel for our own dear ones, we love God.

      - Meher Baba

      .