1905#1905 - Sunday, August 29, 2004 - Editor: Gloria Lee

    Aug 31, 2004
      #1905 - Sunday, August 29, 2004 - Editor: Gloria Lee

      Consciousness is the totality of the known
      in the immensity of the unknown.
      - Nisargadatta Maharaj

      ~

      Those whom heaven helps we call the sons of heaven. They do not learn
      this by learning. They do not work it by working. They do not reason
      it by using reason. To let understanding stop at what cannot be
      understood is a high attainment. Those who cannot do it will be
      destroyed on the lathe of heaven.
      - Chuang Tse: XXIII (Chap 3 epigraph, *The Lathe of Heaven*)

      ~

      A passionate belief in a cause does not excuse
      you from not knowing what you are talking about.
      - Thomas Sowell

      ~

      The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.
      -Bertrand Russell

      Padamalai

      Padamalai
      Teachings of Sri Ramana Maharshi Recorded by Muruganar, First English Translation

      Edited and annotated by David Godman, 396 pages
      $20.00 plus shipping and handling.
      How to order.

      The original Tamil work comprises 3,059 two-line verses that either praise Ramana Maharshi, record his teachings, or express Muruganar’s gratitude to him. This collection contains representative samples from all these categories, while concentrating on the teachings. Of the book's 1,750 verses approximately three-quarters of them contain direct statements by Ramana Maharshi on all aspects of his teachings.

      Padamalai is available from the following distributors:

      In the US: Avadhuta Foundation:

      mail@...

      In the UK: The Ramana Maharshi Foundation, London:

      alanadamsjacobs@...

      In Europe: Inner Quest, Paris: InnerQuest@...

      In India: Sri Ramanasramam:

      ashrama@...

      Padamalai

      may also be ordered directly from my site: www.davidgodman.org
      A book extract is available in our files section, with permission of David Godman.

      [check back if website is still down]

      "Look well to the growing edge. All around us worlds are dying and new
      worlds are being born; all around us life is dying and life is being born.
      The fruit ripens on the tree, the roots are silently at work in the
      darkness of the earth against a time when there shall be new lives, fresh
      blossoms, green fruit. Such is the growing edge! It is the extra breath
      from the exhausted lung, the one more thing to try when all else has
      failed, the upward reach of life when weariness closes in upon all
      endeavor. This is the basis of hope in moments of despair, the incentive to
      carry on when times are out of joint and men have lost their reason, the
      source of confidence when worlds crash and dreams whiten into ash."
      ~ Howard Thurman

      by Lama Thubten Yeshe

      You are so fortunate being able to put much effort of body, speech and mind into seeking inner reality, your true nature. When you check how you have spent most of your life, you can see how fortunate you are having the chance to make this search even once. So fortunate!

      I'm not just making it up, "Oh, you're so good," trying to make you feel proud. It's true. However, to really discover that all human problems, physical and mental, come from attachment, is not an easy job. It takes much time.  [...]

      This is not just some philosophical theory, either. It is really true, based on living experience. In fact, not only Buddhism, but all religions recognize the shortcomings of attachment. Even worldly people talk about its drawbacks. But, you know, even though we say the words, "Attachment this, attachment that," we don't really recognize it as the biggest problem on earth.

      Therefore, what I'm saying is, it would be wonderful if you could recognize that your own attachment is the cause of every single problem that you experience. Problems with your husband, wife, children, society, authorities, everybody; having a bad reputation; your friends not liking you; people talking badly about you; your hating your teacher, your lama or your priest; all this truly comes from your own attachment. You really check up.

      We Westerners always have to blame something external when things go wrong. "I'm not happy, so I'd better change this." We're always trying to change the world around us instead of recognizing that it's our own attachment that we have to change.

      Just take a simple example. When someone hurts you by telling you that you're greedy, although you blame the person for how you feel, the hurt actually comes from your attachment. First of all, people, perhaps even your parents or your spouse, don't like your attachment-driven behavior, so they complain, "Oh, you're so greedy," hurting your ego. And then, instead of accepting their pointing out your selfish behavior, your attachment to always being right, perfect, causes you angrily to reject what they say. The fact that your ego, your wrong-conception mind, cannot accept criticism is itself a big problem: your ego wants you to be right all the time, and your attachment creates its own philosophy of never listening to advice, no matter who gives it, closing off your mind. It is very important that you learn to deal with these problems in the best possible way.

      ~Lama Thubten Yeshe

      From the website
      http://www.lamayeshe.com/lamayeshe/attachment.shtml

      posted on Daily Dharma by Anapachen

      Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat
      or drink; or about your body, what you will wear.  Is not life more
      important than food, and the body more important than clothes?  Look
      at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in
      barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them.  Are you not much more
      valuable than they?  Who of you  by worrying can add a single hour to
      his life?  And why do you worry about clothes?  See how the lilies of
      the field grow.  They do not labor or spin.  Yet I tell you that not
      even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these.  If
      that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today,
      and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you,
      O you of little faith?  So do not worry saying, 'What shall we eat?'
      or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?'  For the pagans run
      after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need
      them.  But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these
      things will be given to you as well.  Therefore do not worry about
      tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.  Each day has enough
      trouble of its own.
      ---Matthew 6:25-34

      Lilies

      I have been thinking
      about living
      like the lilies
      that blow in the fields.

      They rise and fall
      in the edge of the wind,
      and have no shelter
      from the tongues of the cattle,

      and have no closets or cupboards,
      and have no legs.
      Still I would like to be
      as wonderful

      as the old idea.
      But if I were a lily
      I think I would wait all day
      for the green face

      of the hummingbird
      to touch me.
      What I mean is,
      could I forget myself

      even in those feathery fields?
      When Van Gogh
      preached to the poor
      of course he wanted to save someone--

      most of all himself.
      He wasn't a lily,
      and wandering through the bright fields
      only gave him more ideas

      it would take his life to solve.
      I think I will always be lonely
      in this world, where the cattle
      graze like a black and white river--

      where the vanishing lilies
      melt, without protest, on their tongues--
      where the hummingbird, whenever there is a fuss,
      just rises and floats away.
      - Mary Oliver

      Ten Years Later

      Today's poem is by David Whyte. He was in a large part responsible for
      reawakening my love of poetry in recent years.David's poetry is rich and
      infused with a meditative sense of reality but I find particularly compelling
      when I've listened to one of his readings. If you get a chance, track down
      some of his recorded talks and listen. I think you'll be moved.

      [Editors note:]

      David Whyte, under "Poetry & Prose" tab has an audio interview on website:

      http://davidwhyte.bigmindcatalyst.com/cgi/bmc.pl?page=home.html

      Following are excerpts from a thought-provoking interview with David on Irish Radio,

      appropriately titled "The Power and Place of Poetry."

      If you would like to listen to the complete interview in RealAudio¬ô please click here!

      Ivan
      PS -- If you haven't discovered it yet, there has been a hidden "Easter
      egg" on the Poetry Chaikhana web site. Go to the home page and let your
      mouse pointer roll over the seated figure. When you do that, the banner
      changes to a brief quote about spirituality. The quote changes daily...
      ============

      Here's your Daily Poem from the Poetry Chaikhana

      Ten Years Later

      By David Whyte

      When the mind is clear
      and the surface of the now still,
      now swaying water

      slaps against
      the rolling kayak,

      I find myself near darkness
      paddling again to Yellow Island.

      Every spring wildflowers
      cover the grey rocks.

      Every year the sea breeze
      ruffles the cold and lovely pearls
      hidden in the center of the flowers

      as if remembering them
      by touch alone.

      A calm and lonely, trembling beauty
      that frightened me in youth.

      Now their loneliness
      feels familiar, one small thing
      I've learned these years,

      how to be alone,
      and at the edge of aloneness
      how to be found by the world.

      Innocence is what we allow
      to be gifted back to us
      once we've given ourselves away.

      There is one world only,
      the one to which we gave ourselves
      utterly, and to which one day

      we are blessed to return.

      --from The House of Belonging, David Whyte