1336Friday, January 31, 2003

    Feb 1, 2003

      In memory of the crew of Columbia,
      who saw that the world is One.

      All The Hemispheres

      Leave the familiar for a while.
      Let your senses and bodies stretch out

      Like a welcomed season
      Onto the meadows and shores and hills.

      Open up to the Roof.
      Make a new water-mark on your excitement
      And love.

      Like a blooming night flower,
      Bestow your vital fragrance of happiness
      And giving
      Upon our intimate assembly.

      Change rooms in your mind for a day.

      All the hemispheres in existence
      Lie beside an equator
      In your heart.

      Greet Yourself
      In your thousand other forms
      As you mount the hidden tide and travel
      Back home.

      All the hemispheres in heaven
      Are sitting around a fire
      Chatting

      While stitching themselves together
      Into the Great Circle inside of
      You.

      ("The Subject Tonight is Love" - versions by Daniel Ladinsky)

      posted by Joseph Riley

      ~~~~~~~~

      Charles Hovartos

      "Then I was standing on the highest mountain
      of them all, and round about beneath me
      was the whole hoop of the world.
      And while I stood there I saw more than I can tell
      and I understood more than I saw;
      for I was seeing in a sacred manner
      the shapes of all things in the spirit,
      and the shape of all shapes as they must live
      together like one being."

      From "Black Elk Speaks", as told to John G. Neihardt,
      Univ. Nebraska Press, 1932,
      by Black Elk, Oglala Lakota

      ~~~~~~~~

      Steve Toth

      CAGED BIRD

      I'm the canary
           the miners won't work without
      What happens to me now
           will happen to you later
      So don't wonder
           why nobody told you
           I'm telling you now

      I'll fly again

      ~~~~~~~~

      Practicing Spirituality with Jews
      Day 13
      February 1, 2003

      BE JOYFUL ON THE SABBATH

      Shabbat joy is not to be compared to frivolous enjoyment or moments of
      laughter. It is rather a mood of satisfaction and contentment. It is the
      spiritual joy of having found meaning and purpose in God's exalted world. It
      is the recognition on some modest level of what our Creator wants of us
      during our brief life on earth.

      Shabbat joy is the highest kind of joy there is. It is the joy of a mother
      giving birth, an artist painting on the canvas, the teacher watching a pupil
      grasp a difficult subject. It is the joy of having achieved something
      different and unusual -- the joy of working as God's partner in making the
      world better today than it was yesterday.

      Cosmic joy is indescribable yet palpable. It opens the heart, it touches the
      nerve endings, it stirs the deepest possible emotion. Whoever experiences
      this kind of joy may not always be happy in the conventional sense.
      Sometimes this joy coexists with struggle and strain, with care and worry.
      But it remains joy about matters that inhabit the highest heights of the
      universe. For such high matters, it is a sublime joy and unparalleled
      privilege to be able to struggle and strive.

      *****
      "Each day has its own set of thoughts, words and deeds. Live in tune."
      -- Rebbe Nachman of Breslov

      ~~~~~~~~

      Along the Way

              ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` `

              There is a way between voice and presence
              where information flows.

              In disciplined silence it opens.
              With wandering talk it closes.

                                     - Rumi

       "The Essential Rumi"
      Version by Coleman Barks
      HarperSanFrancisco, 1995

             ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` `

              I exhausted myself, looking.
             No one ever finds this by trying.

             I melted in it and came home,
             where every jar is full,
             but no one drinks.

                     - Lalla
                       14th Century North Indian mystic

      From "Naked Song"
      Versions by Coleman Barks
      Maypop 1992

      ~~~~~~~~

      Gloria Lee

      The Tao is the law of nature,
      Which you can’t depart from,
      Even for one instant.
      If you could depart from it,
      It wouldn’t be the Tao.
      Thus the mature person looks into
      Their own heart and respects what
      Is unseen and unheard.
      Nothing is more manifest than the hidden;
      Nothing is more obvious than the unseen.
      Thus the mature person pays
      Attention to what is happening
      In the innermost self.

      - Tze-Ssu

      http://www.dailyzen.com/default.asp

      Ikkyu (1394-1481)

      Cover your path
      With fallen pine needles
      So no one will be able
      To locate your
      True dwelling place.

       I Hate Incense

      A master’s handiwork cannot be measured
      But still priests wag their tongues explaining the “Way” and babbling about “Zen.”
      This old monk has never cared for false piety
      And my nose wrinkles at the dark smell of incense before the Buddha.

      A Fisherman

      Studying texts and stiff meditation can make you lose your Original Mind.
      A solitary tune by a fisherman, though, can be an invaluable treasure.
      Dusk rain on the river, the moon peeking in and out of the clouds;
      Elegant beyond words, he chants his songs night after night.

      more Ikkyu

      From Crow With No Mouth, translated by Stephen Berg.

      only one koan matters
      you

      oh yes things exist like the echo when you yell at the foot of a
      huge mountain

      hear the cruel no-answer until blood drips down
      beat your head against the wall of it

      the mind is exactly this tree that grass
      without thought or feeling both disappear

      not two not one either
      and the unpainted breeze in the ink painting feels cool

      go down on your silly knees pray
      for what?  tomorrow is yesterday

      I found my sparrow Sonrin dead one morning
      and buried him just as gently as I would my own daughter

      I hate it I know it's nothing but I
      suck out the world's sweet juicy plum

      why is it all so beautiful this fake dream
      this craziness why?

      it's logical:  if you are not going anywhere
      any road is the right one

      know nothing I know nothing nobody does can you face me
      and know nothing know

      ~~~~~~~~

      I now have a web site you might like to check out,
      thanks,

      www.garymerrill.com

      Love
      Gary
      ~~~~~~~~

      Jerry Katz

      Mandela, the movie: Cameras set to roll

      http://www.brunei-online.com/bb/fri/jan31w32.htm

      JOHANNESBURG (AFP) - A South African producer is to turn the story of Nelson Mandela into a big screen epic capturing his life from childhood, to political awareness, 10,000 days of imprisonment and finally freedom.

      "It's a very prestigious project, but also a very daunting task. Everybody feels -- and rightly so -- about Mr Mandela and his life. People take possession of it," producer Anant Singh told AFP.

      "When you have to make a movie out of his life in under three hours it's not easy."

      Mandela became the international symbol of resistance to the apartheid system in South Africa. His release after 27 years in jail and eventual transition to the country's first post-apartheid president from 1994 to 1999 is almost the stuff of fairy-tales.

      The film will be based on his autobiography, "Long Walk to Freedom", which carries an emotive account of his first moments of freedom, likely to be at the heart of the new movie.

      "I felt -- even at the age of 71 -- that my life was beginning anew. My ten thousand days of imprisonment were at last over," Mandela, now 84, wrote in his book.

      "When I was among the crowd, I raised my right fist, and there was a roar. I had not been able to do that for 27 years and it gave me a surge of strength and joy."

      ~~~~~~~~

      Joseph Riley

      Dear Friends,

      We share and discuss words about the divine mystery here, including how we incorporate those words into living our lives.

      I hope I will not offend anyone and I am not trying to impose or assert my own views, but I wanted to pass along a new web site to those who are concerned about the days ahead:  www.poetsagainstthewar.org

      ~~~~~~~~

      Issue #1336 - Friday, January 31, 2003 - Editor: Gloria

      ~~~~~~~~

      .