Re: #5

  • Mike Euritt
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 11 6:58 AM
      > Well, a post for the sake of posting.
      >
      > I spent 4 hours today in Nevada City with the #5. I had in hand what
      > is believed to be one of only 8 Carter Brother's 10ton journal boxes
      > left in existace.

      Thanks for the post, this is the kind of information that is very
      interesting to read about.

      Mike
    • John Christensen
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 11 11:22 AM
        Hi Curtis,
        Glad you were able to make it out to our rail site. Yes Engine #5 is a mess!
        I still have plans to restore her to her original condition though. Through
        my contacts at Universal Studios I plan to make another attempt at having
        the engine donated to us or rather to the City of Nevada City. Since the new
        museum property belongs to Nevada City and the engine goes to Nevada City
        I'm told there is funding available to totally restore her. This means a new
        boiler and tender tank at the least.
        Interesting info on the tender trucks. Next time you come up I'll try to be
        there to help you jack up the tender to get one of the brass's out for you.

        Best, John
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 11 1:25 PM
          John,

          I'll certainly take you up on that offer to pull a bearing. In
          theory it should have the same external dimentions as a brass from
          the 10ton journal box, but fitted to a smaller diameter of axle. It
          would certainly give the final pieces of the 8ton vs. 10ton journal
          mystery. Remind me to bring Wasp killer thoe. I stuck my head under
          the tender to look at the bolster castings and made the mistake of
          looking up. Five wasps were sitting on a nest less than 4 inches
          from my face and giving me the evil eye(s). Next thing I can
          remember is standing several feet away from the tender, I'm suprised
          no one heared me break the sound barrier from moving that fast.

          It'll be a couple of weeks before I can make it back up. I have
          Tuesday off right now and next tuesday I'm going to Fresno to talk to
          a minature steam train manufacturer about a job. The following
          Tuesday is going to be spent up in Jamestown taking measuremnts of
          the Sierra RR #3's boiler to make 3D CAD drawings for the FRA Form-4.

          ---

          It would be great to see the #5 turned over to the city! Pehaps
          there is yet a chance of a Glenbrook & Tahoe double-headder. Or a
          tipple-headder with the Eureka in the lead. :-D The next Sacramento
          Railfair is only 10 years away!

          If that does happen I'd volunteer my time & drafting services for
          sure. I'd probably make the patterns for new crosshead pumps myself.

          ---

          To be honest I was really amazed at the setup at the current site.
          Very well organized and the attention to detail on the restored cars
          was great. That new museum and shop building are going to be a great
          boon to the work you guys are doing.

          Also, the sheer variety of cars really caught me off guard. I knew
          there was a variety, but you have a lot of variety. There's trucks
          laying around that I would normally have to take a trip to Laws or
          Carson City to take measuremnts of.

          ---

          Ken was telling me that the little 0-4-0 on the motels' property is
          having staybolt problems, I've started looking for a copper boiler
          person to assist.

          Also, how often does that 2-6-2 run? Ken said it hasn't been worked
          for quite a while despite being in operable condition.

          I just can't stand seeing operable engines rusting into disrepair.

          Cheers,
          Curtis

          --- In NCNGRR@y..., "John Christensen" <NCNGRR@O...> wrote:
          > Hi Curtis,
          > Glad you were able to make it out to our rail site. Yes Engine #5
          is a mess!
          > I still have plans to restore her to her original condition though.
          Through
          > my contacts at Universal Studios I plan to make another attempt at
          having
          > the engine donated to us or rather to the City of Nevada City.
          Since the new
          > museum property belongs to Nevada City and the engine goes to
          Nevada City
          > I'm told there is funding available to totally restore her. This
          means a new
          > boiler and tender tank at the least.
          > Interesting info on the tender trucks. Next time you come up I'll
          try to be
          > there to help you jack up the tender to get one of the brass's out
          for you.

          > Best, John
        • John Christensen
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 11 6:05 PM
            Hi Curtis,
            Thanks for the feedback. I expect to see Argent Lumber Co. #5 steamed up
            next year. Just a guess but probably around May 18-20 which is when I plan
            to have the official opening of the Transportation Museum in Nevada City.
            The construction is expected to be completed by December 20th but we will
            need the winter months to get our displays together inside the depot/museum
            building. May 20th is the anniversary of the NCNGRR which opened in 1876.

            The Northern Queen is already dragging rail down from our site so they can
            begin construction of 900 ft. of 3 ft gauge track up to the property line of
            the museum site. If we can put in another 3-400 ft in by opening day maybe
            the NQI will run the Argent engine up to the museum on opening day. I hope
            so but again there is a lot to do in a short time. Do you know any Gandy
            Dancers who might want to come up on a weekend and help?
            That enough speculation for now. See you when you get back up here.