  • Curtis S. Ferrington
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 10, 2001
      Well, a post for the sake of posting.

      I spent 4 hours today in Nevada City with the #5. I had in hand what
      is believed to be one of only 8 Carter Brother's 10ton journal boxes
      left in existace.

      The common theory is that the tender behind the #5, which is actually
      the #3s, was rebuilt after the Grass Valley engine house fire with
      Carter Brother's 8ton journal boxes.

      Another theory that has arisen is that Carter used the same Journal
      Boxes for their 8ton and 10ton equipment.

      Both of these theories were put to the ultamet test.

      Yes, the journal boxes under the #5s tender are Carter.
      No, the journal boxes are not the same.

      Dust guard on the journal boxes of the #5s tender are MUCH larger
      than on the 10ton box I had in hand, aside from that detail the boxes
      are identical.

      The only other test to preform would have been to jack up the tender
      trucks and pull out a brass and compare it to the 10ton one. Maybe
      next time.

      ----

      I was able to see the progress on the F&CC Box Car. WOW! They are
      doing a great job. It'll be good to go for another 100 years or
      better when they're finished.

      ----

      Drove through Colfax on my way back home. It was a bad decision.
      Aside from the fact I almost ran off the road twice looking for the
      ROW.

      The last time I had been in Colfax was about eight years ago, and at
      that time you could have kicked around some dirt and found the
      railheads from the NCNG track crossing (parallel to the SP trackage)
      on the main road into town, they were about 3" below the top soil &
      paved over, but the rails were still there!

      Today I drove through town to see that the crossing had been
      completely redone. All new curbs & pavement, new parking lot. I
      couldn't bring myself to stop and see if the rails were still there
      or not, but it looked like the whole area had been ripped up, the
      rails probably too. I always thought it would have been neat to
      bring the rails back to the serface and rebuild the crossing. But
      once rails are removed the paperwork to put them back is
      neverending. :-(

      ----

      Well, I titled this post "#5" so I should write a bit more about her
      I guess.

      What a sad engine. Best thing I can say about her is that the
      running gear is intact. That boiler should be a "weed burner" out in
      a field somewhere and used for target practice. The so called
      smokebox should be recycled. The Throttle & Domes are atleat
      original, and not some Hollywood attempt at steam engineering.

      The steel Cab should be sent to Laws for the SPNG museum, they can
      have the running boards too.

      There's a special effect manifold (Controls fake Smoke Generator,
      fake Steam Generator, etc...) in the cab that needs to be sent back
      to Universal Studios and thrown through a window

      The bottomless tender tank needs to be retired next to #3s boiler.
      Tender Frame is good, even if only about half of the castings on it
      are original. The tender trucks need to be rebuilt to Baldwin
      standards. Tender Springs could be replaced, but the fact they are
      original I'd probably leave them and put up with the rough ride
      they'd give.

      Ofcourse none of this is probably possible thanks to Universal
      Studios trying to preserve a severly fornicated engine. :-/

      ----

      Well, that's enough ranting for now. Please go back to your
      regularly scheduled E-mails. :-)

      Curtis F.
    • Rick
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 30, 2005
        Greetings All,

        I'm looking at maybe building a model of #5 using a NWSL Spartan loco. My
        question is this . If I remember right the NWSL engine is the same Baldwin
        class as the #5 but I would like to know if there are significant
        dimensional differences.

        Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.

        Rick

      • Aaron Splawn
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1, 2005
          Rick,

          Both NWSL loco's are similar. The 1880's version would make a better start because the boiler is shorter; however, if you want to make either one correct you will need to re-position the rear driver. Do you already have a NWSL loco? How about the the #5 drawings?

          Aaron

          Greetings All,

          I'm looking at maybe building a model of #5 using a NWSL Spartan loco. My
          question is this . If I remember right the NWSL engine is the same Baldwin
          class as the #5 but I would like to know if there are significant
          dimensional differences.

          Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.

          Rick

          Have you visited or contributed to the FILES or LINKS section yet? Check them out!

          Narrow gauge railroad Nevada county Narrow gauge