Hopper #1001

  • cmestel2000
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 9, 2014
      Is there any information of the size measurements of the Hopper #1001?

      Clifford A. Mestel
      Trout Creek Engineering

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 9, 2014
        Cliff,

        The car was originally built for the SG gravel spur along the bear river, part of a series of cars that were operated there. When those operations ended, two of the cars were put on NG trucks and used to haul ballast for the railroad and an online customer (I forget which customer this was exactly, but I can look that up when I am home later). Gravel used by this car was loaded from around the south side of the Bear River Viaduct where a cable system was used to haul gravel up from the river bed.

        I am unsure of the dimensions, Herman Darr may have done a drawing.

        -=Andrew Brandon=-
        http://www.pacificng.com

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 9, 2014
          Hi Andrew;

          Thanks for the reply.  The problem is that Herman did not do a drawing of the car so I have nothing to go by.

          Cliff

          In a message dated 1/9/2014 4:13:43 P.M. Mountain Standard Time, andrew.brandon@... writes:

[...]

        • Mts Supply Co
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 10, 2014
             I built these 2 hoppers, #1001 and #1003 I think is second
            number. I still have them, Herman did not have drawings but
            confirmed that they where standard gauge. I can post pictures
            if you wish.

            Mark
            Grass Valley, CA

          • cmestel2000
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 11, 2014
              Hi Mark;

              I would appreciate that.  Can you give me the dimensions that you used.  Yes, 1003 is the 2nd number.

              Thanks.

              Clifford A. Mestel
              Trout Creek Engineering

              In a message dated 1/10/2014 10:48:45 P.M. Mountain Standard Time, mtsgloves@... writes:

               I built these 2 hoppers, #1001 and #1003 I think is second
              number. I still have them, Herman did not have drawings but
              confirmed that they where standard gauge. I can post pictures
              if you wish.

              Mark
              Grass Valley, CA

            • ncngrr5
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 13, 2014
                Clifford,

                I will get you the dimensions this week. I think I built them in 1998 or 99, I had several long discussions with Herman Darr about them, I
                also used some very rare photos of them to "confirm" the car size.
                I should get them to you Monday or Tuesday evening.

                Mark
                Grass Valley, CA

                --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, clifmestel@... wrote:

                > Hi Mark;
                >
                > I would appreciate that. Can you give me the dimensions that you used.
                > Yes, 1003 is the 2nd number.
                >
                > Thanks.
                >
                > Clifford A. Mestel
                > Trout Creek Engineering
                >

                > In a message dated 1/10/2014 10:48:45 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
                > mtsgloves@... writes:
                >

                > I built these 2 hoppers, #1001 and #1003 I think is second
                > number. I still have them, Herman did not have drawings but
                > confirmed that they where standard gauge. I can post pictures
                > if you wish.
                >

                > Mark
                > Grass Valley, CA

              • Doug MacLeod
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 13, 2014
                  Mark,
                  The dimensions painted on the side of the Hopper are 7' 4" wide, 24'
                  10" long. A friend is working on drawings the car.
                  Doug MacLeod, Roseville, CA
                  www.macleodwestern.com

                  > I will get you the dimensions this week. I think I built them in 1998 or
                  > 99, I had several long discussions with Herman Darr about them, I
                  > also used some very rare photos of them to "confirm" the car size.
                  > I should get them to you Monday or Tuesday evening.
                  >
                  > Mark
                  > Grass Valley, CA
                  >
                  > --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, clifmestel@... wrote:
                  >>
                  >> Hi Mark;
                  >>
                  >> I would appreciate that. Can you give me the dimensions that you used.
                  >> Yes, 1003 is the 2nd number.
                  >>
                  >> Thanks.
                  >>
                  >> Clifford A. Mestel
                  >> Trout Creek Engineering
                  >>

                  >> In a message dated 1/10/2014 10:48:45 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
                  >> mtsgloves@... writes:
                  >>

                  >> I built these 2 hoppers, #1001 and #1003 I think is second
                  >> number. I still have them, Herman did not have drawings but
                  >> confirmed that they where standard gauge. I can post pictures
                  >> if you wish.
                  >>

                  >> Mark
                  >> Grass Valley, CA
                  >>

                  > ------------------------------------

                  > them out!Yahoo Groups Links

                • ncngrr5
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 14, 2014
                    Doug & Clifford,

                    I just measured my models and I built them
                    7'2" x 24'8", not sure why they are 2"
                    short each way?, probably glue and cutting
                    tolerance? Maybe that's the dimensions
                    Herman had at the time?

                    Mark
                    Grass Valley, CA

                    --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "Doug MacLeod" <dmacleod@...> wrote:

                    > Mark,
                    > The dimensions painted on the side of the Hopper are 7' 4" wide, 24'
                    > 10" long. A friend is working on drawings the car.
                    > Doug MacLeod, Roseville, CA
                    > www.macleodwestern.com

                  • Doug MacLeod
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 14, 2014
                      Mark,
                          The dimensions I gave are the dimensions painted on the side of the hopper when it was in Grass Valley yards waiting to be repair from one end of the car.  The dimension do not appear in any other photograph taken of the Hopper car.  Two inch difference probably isn't noticeable on a model.
                      Doug MacLeod, Roseville, CA