Re: Bear River Bridge

  • John Christensen
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 4 9:20 AM
      Hi Allen,
      I don't know if anything has been done on the Bear River Bridge. I will ask
      at our next meeting and get back to you in regards to possible resources.

      John
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 4 11:11 AM
        Allen:
        I have a article on the Bear River bridge from March 11, 1909 issue of
        the of Engineering News. It has constructions views and drawings. I could
        scan it and e-mail to you. It's probably 11 x 14 in size, scanner 8 1/2 x
        11, so it would take two scans per page. Does that help?
        Doug MacLeod

        > The original bridge at Bear River was a deck Howe truss with a
        > cluster pier supporting the spans. The company which built this
        > bridge was the same one that built the similarly designed Browns
        > Canyon bridge of the North Pacific Coast in 1876.
        >
        > I've done a lot of research to come up with a scale drawing of the
        > NPC bridge. I'm wondering if someone has researched the Bear River
        > bridge and we could compare notes? I rather suspect the two are
        > pretty much the same. Maybe some of the details could be clarified.
        >
        > Allen Tacy
        > NWP RR HS

      • Allen Tacy
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 4 1:02 PM
          Doug - I suspect that the 1909 article is about the high steel girder
          Bear River bridge. I'm talking about the original one constructed
          when the NCNG itself was built. The girder bridge was a magnificent
          structure. Wish it had been preserved.

          Allen
          ---------------

        • eabracher@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 4 2:28 PM
            In a message dated 4/4/01 1:37:58 PM, alantacy@... writes:

            << I'm talking about the original one constructed
            when the NCNG itself was built. The girder bridge was a magnificent >>

            Have you contacted Herman Darr? I'm sure he knows.

            eric
          • Allen Tacy
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 4 3:18 PM
              Eric - No, I have not. Thanks for the tip. How do I reach Herman Darr?

              Allen
              -------------------

              >In a message dated 4/4/01 1:37:58 PM, alantacy@... writes:
              >
              ><< I'm talking about the original one constructed
              >when the NCNG itself was built. The girder bridge was a magnificent >>
              >
              >Have you contacted Herman Darr? I'm sure he knows.
              >
              >eric
              >

              >Have you visited or contributed to the FILES or LINKS section yet?
              >Check them out!

            • B. Douglas Jensen
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 5 7:36 AM
                Allen

                Herman Darr, Nevada City, 265-2137
                This man knows the narrow gauge and he gives a great tour of the old right of way.

                Doug Jensen
              • Allen Tacy
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 5 10:16 AM
                  Doug - Thanks. Tried to reach him last evening, but he was out. I do
                  a pretty fair tour of our narrow gauge myself. Different narrow
                  gauge, but the NCNG is also a favorite.

                  Allen