Re: Re: Prototype speed of "Plymouth FL" #10

  • RANDALL HEES
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 7, 2013
      One significant issue was the frame height. On a Plymouth
      CL or FL the frame sits lower, and the coupler of a narrow
      gauge car will miss the frame in a collision, and strike
      the radiator or body. On a DL or larger locomotive, the
      coupler will strike the frame.

      Randy Hees
      www.spcrr.org
      www.pacificng.com
      www.rypn.org

      On Thu, 7 Feb 2013 11:32:58 -0800
      Andrew Brandon <andrew.brandon@...> wrote:
      > The NCNG actually encountered a fair number of issues
      >with their
      > gas-mechanicals early on. These problems stemmed from
      >the desire to use
      > them as replacements for steam locomotives on local
      >(GV>NC) traffic.
      > Starting in the late 20s, they attempted to use several
      >different models
      > for this purpose. Among these were what became Madera
      >Sugar Pine #7 (NCNG
      > 1st #7) and Pacific Coast Ry #120 (NCNG was the reason
      >for the small pilot
      > and trailing axles being added in an attempt to track
      >better at higher
      > speeds.).
      >
      > Andrew
      >
      > -=Andrew Brandon=-
      > http://www.pacificng.com
      >

      > On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 7:30 AM, dave_grandt
      ><davegrandt@...> wrote:
      >
      >> **
      >>

      >> My Plymouth catalog gives a speed of 10mph for models
      >>with 20" dia wheels
      >>

      >> --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "flobarchetti" wrote:
      >> ".
      >> >
      >> > I can imagine that speeds of 12mph are already quite
      >>frightening on a
      >> loco with hardly any spring suspension, very short
      >>wheelbase and on rough
      >> track.
      >> >
      >> > Maxon motors offers a motor/gearhead combo that fits
      >>my model and gives
      >> it a V/max of 10 scalemiles/hour.
      >> > What I am really curios about is, what the lowest
      >>steady speed will be.
      >> >
      >> > Florian

    • Florian Barchetti
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 9, 2013
        That must have been fun for the engineer, having the coupler coming into the cab when hitting the brakes too late.
        Florian

        ymailto="mailto:NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com">NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "flobarchetti" wrote:
        >> ".
        >> >
        >> > I can imagine that speeds of 12mph are already quite
        >>frightening on a
        >> loco with hardly any spring suspension, very short
        >>wheelbase and on rough
        >> track.
        >> >
        >> > Maxon motors offers a motor/gearhead combo that fits
        >>my model and gives
        >> it a V/max of 10 scalemiles/hour.
        >> > What I am really curios about is, what the lowest
        >>steady speed will be.
        >> >
        >> > Florian

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional