Re: Re: Prototype speed of "Plymouth FL" #10

    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 7 11:32 AM
      The NCNG actually encountered a fair number of issues with their gas-mechanicals early on. These problems stemmed from the desire to use them as replacements for steam locomotives on local (GV>NC) traffic. Starting in the late 20s, they attempted to use several different models for this purpose. Among these were what became Madera Sugar Pine #7 (NCNG 1st #7) and Pacific Coast Ry #120 (NCNG was the reason for the small pilot and trailing axles being added in an attempt to track better at higher speeds.).

      Andrew

      -=Andrew Brandon=-
      http://www.pacificng.com

      On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 7:30 AM, dave_grandt <davegrandt@...> wrote:

      My Plymouth catalog gives a speed of 10mph for models with 20" dia wheels

      --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "flobarchetti" wrote:
      ".

      > I can imagine that speeds of 12mph are already quite frightening on a loco with hardly any spring suspension, very short wheelbase and on rough track.
      >
      > Maxon motors offers a motor/gearhead combo that fits my model and gives it a V/max of 10 scalemiles/hour.
      > What I am really curios about is, what the lowest steady speed will be.
      >
      > Florian

    • RANDALL HEES
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 7 12:13 PM
        One significant issue was the frame height. On a Plymouth
        CL or FL the frame sits lower, and the coupler of a narrow
        gauge car will miss the frame in a collision, and strike
        the radiator or body. On a DL or larger locomotive, the
        coupler will strike the frame.

        Randy Hees
        www.spcrr.org
        www.pacificng.com
        www.rypn.org

        On Thu, 7 Feb 2013 11:32:58 -0800
        Andrew Brandon <andrew.brandon@...> wrote:
        > The NCNG actually encountered a fair number of issues
        >with their
        > gas-mechanicals early on. These problems stemmed from
        >the desire to use
        > them as replacements for steam locomotives on local
        >(GV>NC) traffic.
        > Starting in the late 20s, they attempted to use several
        >different models
        > for this purpose. Among these were what became Madera
        >Sugar Pine #7 (NCNG
        > 1st #7) and Pacific Coast Ry #120 (NCNG was the reason
        >for the small pilot
        > and trailing axles being added in an attempt to track
        >better at higher
        > speeds.).
        >
        > Andrew
        >
        > -=Andrew Brandon=-
        > http://www.pacificng.com
        >

        > On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 7:30 AM, dave_grandt
        ><davegrandt@...> wrote:
        >
        >> **
        >>

        >> My Plymouth catalog gives a speed of 10mph for models
        >>with 20" dia wheels
        >>

        >> --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "flobarchetti" wrote:
        >> ".
        >> >
        >> > I can imagine that speeds of 12mph are already quite
        >>frightening on a
        >> loco with hardly any spring suspension, very short
        >>wheelbase and on rough
        >> track.
        >> >
        >> > Maxon motors offers a motor/gearhead combo that fits
        >>my model and gives
        >> it a V/max of 10 scalemiles/hour.
        >> > What I am really curios about is, what the lowest
        >>steady speed will be.
        >> >
        >> > Florian

      • Florian Barchetti
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 9 4:49 AM
          That must have been fun for the engineer, having the coupler coming into the cab when hitting the brakes too late.
          Florian

          ymailto="mailto:NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com">NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "flobarchetti" wrote:
          >> ".
          >> >
          >> > I can imagine that speeds of 12mph are already quite
          >>frightening on a
          >> loco with hardly any spring suspension, very short
          >>wheelbase and on rough
          >> track.
          >> >
          >> > Maxon motors offers a motor/gearhead combo that fits
          >>my model and gives
          >> it a V/max of 10 scalemiles/hour.
          >> > What I am really curios about is, what the lowest
          >>steady speed will be.
          >> >
          >> > Florian

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional