Re: Prototype speed of "Plymouth FL" #10

  • dave_grandt
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 7, 2013
      My Plymouth catalog gives a speed of 10mph for models with 20" dia wheels

      ".

      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 7, 2013
        The NCNG actually encountered a fair number of issues with their gas-mechanicals early on. These problems stemmed from the desire to use them as replacements for steam locomotives on local (GV>NC) traffic. Starting in the late 20s, they attempted to use several different models for this purpose. Among these were what became Madera Sugar Pine #7 (NCNG 1st #7) and Pacific Coast Ry #120 (NCNG was the reason for the small pilot and trailing axles being added in an attempt to track better at higher speeds.).

        Andrew

        -=Andrew Brandon=-
        http://www.pacificng.com

        On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 7:30 AM, dave_grandt <davegrandt@...> wrote:

        My Plymouth catalog gives a speed of 10mph for models with 20" dia wheels

        --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "flobarchetti" wrote:
        ".

        > I can imagine that speeds of 12mph are already quite frightening on a loco with hardly any spring suspension, very short wheelbase and on rough track.
        >
        > Maxon motors offers a motor/gearhead combo that fits my model and gives it a V/max of 10 scalemiles/hour.
        > What I am really curios about is, what the lowest steady speed will be.
        >
        > Florian

      • RANDALL HEES
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 7, 2013
          One significant issue was the frame height. On a Plymouth
          CL or FL the frame sits lower, and the coupler of a narrow
          gauge car will miss the frame in a collision, and strike
          the radiator or body. On a DL or larger locomotive, the
          coupler will strike the frame.

          Randy Hees
          www.spcrr.org
          www.pacificng.com
          www.rypn.org

          On Thu, 7 Feb 2013 11:32:58 -0800
          Andrew Brandon <andrew.brandon@...> wrote:
          > The NCNG actually encountered a fair number of issues
          >with their
          > gas-mechanicals early on. These problems stemmed from
          >the desire to use
          > them as replacements for steam locomotives on local
          >(GV>NC) traffic.
          > Starting in the late 20s, they attempted to use several
          >different models
          > for this purpose. Among these were what became Madera
          >Sugar Pine #7 (NCNG
          > 1st #7) and Pacific Coast Ry #120 (NCNG was the reason
          >for the small pilot
          > and trailing axles being added in an attempt to track
          >better at higher
          > speeds.).
          >
          > Andrew
          >
          > -=Andrew Brandon=-
          > http://www.pacificng.com
          >

          > On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 7:30 AM, dave_grandt
          ><davegrandt@...> wrote:
          >
          >> **
          >>

          >> My Plymouth catalog gives a speed of 10mph for models
          >>with 20" dia wheels
          >>

          >> --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "flobarchetti" wrote:
          >> ".
          >> >
          >> > I can imagine that speeds of 12mph are already quite
          >>frightening on a
          >> loco with hardly any spring suspension, very short
          >>wheelbase and on rough
          >> track.
          >> >
          >> > Maxon motors offers a motor/gearhead combo that fits
          >>my model and gives
          >> it a V/max of 10 scalemiles/hour.
          >> > What I am really curios about is, what the lowest
          >>steady speed will be.
          >> >
          >> > Florian

        • Florian Barchetti
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 9, 2013
            That must have been fun for the engineer, having the coupler coming into the cab when hitting the brakes too late.
            Florian

            ymailto="mailto:NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com">NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "flobarchetti" wrote:
            >> ".
            >> >
            >> > I can imagine that speeds of 12mph are already quite
            >>frightening on a
            >> loco with hardly any spring suspension, very short
            >>wheelbase and on rough
            >> track.
            >> >
            >> > Maxon motors offers a motor/gearhead combo that fits
            >>my model and gives
            >> it a V/max of 10 scalemiles/hour.
            >> > What I am really curios about is, what the lowest
            >>steady speed will be.
            >> >
            >> > Florian

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional