Bear River Bridge

  • Allen Tacy
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 3 11:11 PM
      The original bridge at Bear River was a deck Howe truss with a
      cluster pier supporting the spans. The company which built this
      bridge was the same one that built the similarly designed Browns
      Canyon bridge of the North Pacific Coast in 1876.

      I've done a lot of research to come up with a scale drawing of the
      NPC bridge. I'm wondering if someone has researched the Bear River
      bridge and we could compare notes? I rather suspect the two are
      pretty much the same. Maybe some of the details could be clarified.

      Allen Tacy
      NWP RR HS
    • jlkirk58
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 8, 2009
        Hi Group,

        I have been trying, without much success, to locate the three tie
        lengths that were used on the Bear River Bridge.

        Has anyone any plans on the three lengths, the spacing or the sizes of
        the ties? The photo story in RMC on member Dick Robert's model was
        great but didn't include any plans from the steel up.

        I have noticed there is great information on the steelwork, and I have
        finished that (through the generosity of Tom Towner) but now need some
        help to continue...

        Joel Kirk
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 9, 2009
          For my N-scale model I used ME bridge flextrack and lived with it.
          Considering that the bridge was designed to accomodate conversion to
          standard gauge, common dimension might apply. The other approach
          would be to scale from photos. Pictures on pages 88 and 149 of
          Best's book (although the latter is of the Long Ravine viaduct)
          should be of help.

          Doug Stuard
          Reston VA