Re: Prototype speed of "Plymouth FL" #10

  • dave_grandt
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 7, 2013
      My Plymouth catalog gives a speed of 10mph for models with 20" dia wheels

      --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "flobarchetti" wrote:
      ".

      > I can imagine that speeds of 12mph are already quite frightening on a loco with hardly any spring suspension, very short wheelbase and on rough track.
      >
      > Maxon motors offers a motor/gearhead combo that fits my model and gives it a V/max of 10 scalemiles/hour.
      > What I am really curios about is, what the lowest steady speed will be.
      >
      > Florian

    • Doug MacLeod
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 7, 2013
        According to the Whitcomb catatlong for an engine as the same as NCNG # 5, in 4th gear the top speed was 11.9 mph. 8 mph in 3rd gear, 4.2 mph in second gear.and 3.4 mph in 1st gear.  For short hard pulls speeds could be increase by 20%.
        Doug MacLeod, Roseville, CA
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 7, 2013
          The NCNG actually encountered a fair number of issues with their gas-mechanicals early on. These problems stemmed from the desire to use them as replacements for steam locomotives on local (GV>NC) traffic. Starting in the late 20s, they attempted to use several different models for this purpose. Among these were what became Madera Sugar Pine #7 (NCNG 1st #7) and Pacific Coast Ry #120 (NCNG was the reason for the small pilot and trailing axles being added in an attempt to track better at higher speeds.).

          Andrew

          -=Andrew Brandon=-
          http://www.pacificng.com

          On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 7:30 AM, dave_grandt <davegrandt@...> wrote:

          My Plymouth catalog gives a speed of 10mph for models with 20" dia wheels

          --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "flobarchetti" wrote:
          ".

          > I can imagine that speeds of 12mph are already quite frightening on a loco with hardly any spring suspension, very short wheelbase and on rough track.
          >
          > Maxon motors offers a motor/gearhead combo that fits my model and gives it a V/max of 10 scalemiles/hour.
          > What I am really curios about is, what the lowest steady speed will be.
          >
          > Florian

        • RANDALL HEES
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 7, 2013
            One significant issue was the frame height. On a Plymouth
            CL or FL the frame sits lower, and the coupler of a narrow
            gauge car will miss the frame in a collision, and strike
            the radiator or body. On a DL or larger locomotive, the
            coupler will strike the frame.

            Randy Hees
            www.spcrr.org
            www.pacificng.com
            www.rypn.org

            On Thu, 7 Feb 2013 11:32:58 -0800
            Andrew Brandon <andrew.brandon@...> wrote:
            > The NCNG actually encountered a fair number of issues
            >with their
            > gas-mechanicals early on. These problems stemmed from
            >the desire to use
            > them as replacements for steam locomotives on local
            >(GV>NC) traffic.
            > Starting in the late 20s, they attempted to use several
            >different models
            > for this purpose. Among these were what became Madera
            >Sugar Pine #7 (NCNG
            > 1st #7) and Pacific Coast Ry #120 (NCNG was the reason
            >for the small pilot
            > and trailing axles being added in an attempt to track
            >better at higher
            > speeds.).
            >
            > Andrew
            >
            > -=Andrew Brandon=-
            > http://www.pacificng.com
            >

            > On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 7:30 AM, dave_grandt
            ><davegrandt@...> wrote:
            >
            >> **
            >>

            >> My Plymouth catalog gives a speed of 10mph for models
            >>with 20" dia wheels
            >>

            >> --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "flobarchetti" wrote:
            >> ".
            >> >
            >> > I can imagine that speeds of 12mph are already quite
            >>frightening on a
            >> loco with hardly any spring suspension, very short
            >>wheelbase and on rough
            >> track.
            >> >
            >> > Maxon motors offers a motor/gearhead combo that fits
            >>my model and gives
            >> it a V/max of 10 scalemiles/hour.
            >> > What I am really curios about is, what the lowest
            >>steady speed will be.
            >> >
            >> > Florian

          • Florian Barchetti
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 9, 2013
              That must have been fun for the engineer, having the coupler coming into the cab when hitting the brakes too late.
              Florian

              ymailto="mailto:NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com">NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "flobarchetti" wrote:
              >> ".
              >> >
              >> > I can imagine that speeds of 12mph are already quite
              >>frightening on a
              >> loco with hardly any spring suspension, very short
              >>wheelbase and on rough
              >> track.
              >> >
              >> > Maxon motors offers a motor/gearhead combo that fits
              >>my model and gives
              >> it a V/max of 10 scalemiles/hour.
              >> > What I am really curios about is, what the lowest
              >>steady speed will be.
              >> >
              >> > Florian

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional