Re: O Scale West

  • Florian Barchetti
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 28, 2013
      Hi Alan,
      thank you very much for your kind words about my modeling work. I guess Doug sent you pics of my homebuilt drive unit fitting a Grandt Line Models  NCNG#10.

      Unfortunately I am suffering also from a lack of time, so right now I am tackling rather small modeling projects like #10.

      NCNG #1 and #7 which I discuss with Doug are longterm projects.

      If you like, I will keep you posted what is going on on my workbench.

      I have to admitt, it makes me kind of jealous knowing you living in NCNG-neighbourhood.*;) zwinkern

      Florian

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 28, 2013
        Florian,
        Your modeling is terrific... I wish that I could do so well.  Our friend Doug is also quite the master... I am humbled by all his creative work.
        Also with out his On3 trucks, On3 would not be much of an option.
        This past weekend many of us On3 modelers were at the "O Scale West meet" in Santa Clara, CA.
        A true highlight there was Doug's friend Jay Criswell; Jay is casting up in Brass, many of Doug's Baldwin American 4-4-0 parts (Doug is supplying him with Styrene plastic originals).  In addition Jay has created on his own, (via the Rapid prototyping process) the Baldwin 'Angle Iron' Pilots, as seen on NCNG #1 and #3.  I purchased from Jay one of these amazing Pilots and a 4-4-0 frame that has the Pilot Apron integrally cast to the frame rails (from Dougs masters).

        You are welcome to come and visit anytime, or send workbench updates... should you come and visit our warm friends from Italy, Francesca and Oscar
        would be thrilled to make us all Pizza, (when in Europe they live in Switzerland, an Italian area, just accross the border, we are told).

        Alan Vivanco
        Grass Valley, CA

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 30, 2013
          Alan,
          you make me almost a bit blushing, I just try to do my best.*:) glücklich

          Doug is definitely the master of the trade! You are right, without his detail parts etc. Pacific Narrow Gauge would be half the fun to model.
          Great to hear you could join the party last weekend at Santa Clara. I would love to meet all you guys.

          So far I saw only pics of Jay's 4-4-0 project, but it looks very promising to turn into magnificent 8-18C models. He must have a top notch casting company on hand. I never thought it is possible casting these delicate frames in one piece.
          At least I could get some of the angle iron pilots because they were not available yet and are very essential for my NCNG#1 project. Some other parts are ordered.

          In case I make a trip the US, I gladly accept your invitation to visit you and your swiss-italian friends for chatting and homemade Pizza. The area where they lived is located on the south slope of the alps and famous for the scenery and mild climate. This is also the italian speaking part of Switzerland. ( Italian is just 1 of 4 official languages in Switzerland ).