Re: NCNG in HOn3

  • Alan Vivanco
    Message 1 of 9 , May 30, 2012
      Herman Darr did drawings for the Chicago Park station and the Water tank... they were published in RMC some years back.  Could set you up with these if you want to scratch build.
      I lived 18 years just a short walk from the station site... a neat part of the world.

      Alan Vivanco
      Grass Valley, CA
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 2, 2012
        Jim, Alan, and Steve,

        Thanks for the responses!

        Steven's Creek's little depot looks very nice, and I hope I can get my hands on one once RS Laser does a re-print. It's actually a model of the original depot which was at Chicago Park's first location along the original line. The good news is after the main line re-location, this depot was moved to Peardale and used as maint of way shed up until the end, so it can still work well for me if I expand.

        I'm thinking I'll need to scratch build "the last" Chicago Park depot as Alan suggested. This is the depot that's pictured in 99% of the photos. I think BTS's Branch Line Water Tank is close enough, but so many pics have been taken of the depot that I'd like to make it as close as possible. I've even considered working with a laser cutting manufacturer to have a bunch made up, but I'm not sure how much of an endeavor that would be.

        Any idea on Grass Valley Depot? That's going to be the tough one...

        BTW, it's good to hear from you guys again. With a recent downsize/move, I've decided to get out the HOn3 again and build something I've always been passionate about. Now, if I can only get those guys at Blackstone to produce some NCNG locos... Ha!

      • ncngrr@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 2, 2012
          Hi,
          A depot similar to the Grass Valley depot was produce as a logging camp set by Sierra West models , I think. When I found the kits on there website I asked about just doing the depot, they never replied to my question. Not an exact copy but appears pattenered after the Grass Valley depot.

          I am building NCNGRR in HOn3 from Grass Valley to Nevada City . Small staging yard for the end at Colfax. Yes, we need more locomtives and cars from Blackstone in NCNGRR .

          Tom M.

        • empirita
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 3, 2012
            I recently finished scratch building the newer Chicago Park depot for my layout. Pictures here:

            http://sites.google.com/site/empirita/chicagopark2

            A while back I scratch built the Grass Valley Depot:

            http://sites.google.com/site/empirita/grassvalley

            David
          • Aaron
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 4, 2012
              Wow! Both of those depots look awesome! They are both exactly what I have in mind to build. Did you use Herman's plans for Chicago Park?

              The Grass Valley depot looks pretty big. Did you draw plans for it? What are the dimensions? I'm likely going to need to do a smaller version, or use the Sierra West Models version as Tom suggested.

              Thanks for sharing, Aaron

              --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "empirita" <empirita@...> wrote:

              > I recently finished scratch building the newer Chicago Park depot for my layout. Pictures here:
              >
              > http://sites.google.com/site/empirita/chicagopark2
              >
              > A while back I scratch built the Grass Valley Depot:
              >
              > http://sites.google.com/site/empirita/grassvalley
              >
              > David

            • empirita
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 5, 2012
                I used Herman Darr's plan for the CP depot as a starting point and then used several photos to produce final building plans.

                The Grass Valley depot is around 150 scale feet long including the passenger passage. Yes, I made plans for the building.

                David

                --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "Aaron" <aaronsplawn@...> wrote:

                > Wow! Both of those depots look awesome! They are both exactly what I have in mind to build. Did you use Herman's plans for Chicago Park?
                >
                > The Grass Valley depot looks pretty big. Did you draw plans for it? What are the dimensions? I'm likely going to need to do a smaller version, or use the Sierra West Models version as Tom suggested.
                >
                > Thanks for sharing, Aaron

              • Aaron
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 8, 2012
                  Both came out looking very nice! Very inspirational...

                  Thank you for sharing...