135 Years Ago Today...

    Message 1 of 2 , May 21, 2011
      Grass Valley Daily Union
      May 21st, 1876

      The Last Spike.- Yesterday was a jolly day at Nevada City, because the
      last tie was laid and the last spike was driven on the Nevada County
      Narrow Gauge Railroad. The Nevada Light Guard turned out in full
      numbers and splendly uniformed, and they marched from their armory to
      the depot as veterans march, keeping time to the splendid music of a
      full brass band. The fire Department also turned out in full numbers
      and helped to make the display a success. The depot buildings and the
      track were crowded with men, women and children, notwithstanding a
      small snow storm prevailed. Dr. R. M. Hunt drove the last spike while
      the bells of the city rang out their merry peals, the whistles of
      mills, locomotives and machine shops were blown, the artillery
      thundered from the hills and people all rejoiced and cheered. Judge
      Searles mounted the engine "Nevada" and gave a happy speech in
      congratulation of the event. The ceremonies went off most happily, and
      everybody seemed delighted. A large number of excursionists were
      present from Grass Valley. The first through train over the road from
      Nevada to Colfax will run this morning on an excursion. An excursion
      train will also run from Grass Valley, leaving here at 10:15 this
      morning.

      -------

      I suppose the more important anniversary was the driving of the last
      spike, yesterday. ;)

      -=Andrew Brandon=-
      http://www.pacificng.com
      Message 2 of 2 , May 21, 2011
        Oops! I got the dates all wrong there. This should have been Saturday the 20th, my notation was incorrect. In that regard, the last spike would be driven on the 19th.

        -=Andrew Brandon=-
        http://www.pacificng.com