new member

  • Alan Vivanco
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 24 4:18 PM
      Hi Everyone... I am a new member and it has been suggested that I introduce myself. So I'll give it a shot. I live here in Nevada County and think this is the best place to live I have seen in my 64 years. The natural beauty here everywhere, the blue sky, four seasons, and friendly people... sure glad I moved here in the 80's... the best thing I ever did.
      Been a train fan since age two, discovered Narrow Guage at maybe eleven. The John Allen photos in M.R. did it for me. Tinkered with sub-tiny HOn3 for a bit and at age thirteen met a lad slightly my senior who was in On3 and new all the others who modeled in On3, he even took me to On3 meet in 1960 (wow)... that step up took a while... as I was afraid it was to big to build a layout! Never built a layout, but had a great time building On3 models over the years. That same lad one day in about 1962 showed me a photo in a book, the RR was the NCNG, the location was Chicago Park, he made a big point of how the name Chicago Park did not sound like a place in California. Well I never forgot that point and strangely I ended up living in Chicago Park almost twenty years: only a short walk from the original right of way. Today I am only a short distance from Chicago Park... if I walk to the top of our hill I can look down and see Chicago Park. I drive by the old fruit shed there often and gaze down the right of way and dream of seeing the station and water tank still standing!

      Today my new deam is to build some crisp NCNG models in 1.20.3 (and I thought On3 was big), the size is so exciting, thinking about all the detail that can be seen, and how fun it is for me to not have to fight with building stuff with such tiny pieces. so I am collecting tools now, like things for cutting my own stripwood, as there isn't much available commercially that I have found.

      I would love to chat with anyone in any scale who models the NCNG, I am no authority on the subject, and hope to learn much more about our beloved NCNG.

      Thanks,
      Alan Vivanco
      530-388-8950