West Side flat #265 restoration at NCNG museum.

  • John
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 27, 2009
      Just a progress report on West Side flat #265. At this time Mike and I have begun applying the decking on the brake wheel end. I set the brake staff and wheel in place and will bolt in place Tuesday. We will install two sections of decking on both ends of the car and then mount the corner brackets in place on all four corners. The bolts go through the first layer of decking, the lateral sill and throught the metal corner brakets that hook up to retain and give added strength to the end sill corners. This particular car is a utility flat and will have another layer of 3 inch decking running 2 feet wide along the length of each side of the car to include two 2 foot cross supports above the needle beams giving the deck it's H appearing pattern. We hope to have the main decking in place by mid January. John C.