West Side Block Car "B".

  • loosecaboose1
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 30, 2009
      Well---I'm feeling chatty tonight so I thought I would give anyone who will listen some of my thoughts on future restoration projects at the NCNG museum. As you may have noticed, I'm kind of into the West Side cars right now before they all dry up and blow away. I've always wanted to see a nice logging train display at the museum since there was so many logging railroads in our area. The only Tolle Brothers equipment that we have are the truss rods on my caboose that I'm aware of. Anyway, in 1986 I purchased both block cars A & B from the WS&CVRR. The hardware and trucks on the caboose is from block car A. Both cars were falling apart but when I scrapped them for parts I held onto much of block car B's metal parts to include trucks, truss rods and most of the belt iron that support the car. I also have the handles and most of the door retaining rods. None of the small doors survived and the ones I kept for patterns disappeared while at the old city yard where we initially gave engine #5 it's first face lift since it had returned from the Universal. Fortunately I have the some of the strap iron from the A car which can be used for the door hinges. I like odd cars and I think this is one of them that should be rebuilt someday. Any thoughts on this one gang! John Christense
    • Jim Blain
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2009
        What is the status of the n.g  operations at the Northern Queen ?

        Best,

        Jim Blain

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2009
          John;

          The guys down at NQI have a wheel or some part from one of the Towle steam tractors, there is also an item or two inside the building. If I ever find one of their lost locomotives you can be sure it will wind up at the museum!

          -=Andrew Brandon=-

        • loosecaboose1
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 1, 2009
            The last I heard was that they were shut down by the State last year and indicated since they felt that they were an amusement park that they needed to change their switches to automatic rather than manuel. Since this was an expensive proposition and the economy was going into the toiler, they decided not to operate again for the immediate future. If they are going to make the changes the State requires or contest their claim that they are an amusement park I don't know. I do know that they have the Argent #5 and the two passenger cars up for sale.