Re: Chicago Park depot (HO)

  • carcrazy832
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 12, 2009
      Ken,
      Thanks for doing such a nice model of a NCNG station. I'm sorry to hear that interest in the model has been low and you may not be able to produce other NCNG projects. Maybe a few on this group will take an interest and purchase a kit? My mom's cousin lived in Chicago Park and I have fond memories of visiting the area as a kid. Though the NCNG was long gone by then, it has always been an interest of mine.

      Does your information on the Chicago Park depot tell of the buildings orientation and modifications through it's various (3?) moves? I have been trying to reconcile the various photos I have seen. In Best's book on page 53, the depot is oriented with the platform toward the tracks but with the post office/ticket office door apparently away from the tracks. The office addition is dark in color (unpainted?) and there is a bench along the side wall of the freight end of the building. The photo caption says this was the original location of the depot. Does anyone know the direction the camera is facing or which side of the track the the depot was located on?

      In pictures of the building at Peardale/Buena Vista, there seem to be two buildings adjacent to each other. Which one would be the old depot? There is a window left of center in the wall nearest the Peardale depot, but this would not match the depot kit, so is this a different building in front of the old depot?

      I have always liked the scene at Peardale/Buena Vista with the "S" shaped curve in the track, the sidings, the buildings on either side, and the meadow and fence line. I sketched up a little module of the scene and planned to use a Stvens Creek model for the depot if it became available. Oh well.

      I guess the NCNG will remain a minority interest with few accurate models available. The ony items I can think of are the Stevens Creek depot, Rio Grande Models and LaBelle F&CC style box cars, the old Kemtron box car, the Classic Minatures tank cars, the RGM crane for Nevada City, and of course the Westside #9 locomotive - all in HO. In O scale I think there were models of #5, #8, and #9 and the newer Chicago Park depot. Have there been others? I still think the newer Chicago Park depot might sell in HO since it is such a classic and attractive small station design.

      Thanks again to Ken to adding to the small list of NCNG products produced through the years.

      Brian
      --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "kenlunders" <ken@...> wrote:

      > Brian,
      >
      > Thanks for your kind comments regarding my Chicago Park kit. The kit, as offered, is not a mirror image. Much of the source material used in developing the kit was provided via Bill Schaumburg of RMC. As peripheral material! My primary interest was in the Buena Vista/Peardale station. Serendipity was at work, no doubt.
      >
      > There has been little interest in the kit, and that throws doubt on producing others based on NCNG prototypes. At least in the near term. I had hoped that the review of the kit in RMC would boost interest, but the modeler who did the job, IMO anyway, made it look so unappealing even I wouldn't want to buy one. So it goes...
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Ken Lunders
      > ---
      > Stevens Creek Models
      > http://www.hon3.com/
      >

      > --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "carcrazy832" <Elainebooth530@> wrote:
      > > At least Stevens Creek Models has produced or announced a few NCNG models. The original Chicago Park depot is a beautiful kit (though in studying photos it looks to me like the model may be a mirror image - does anyone know?). And they have announced plans to produce the Nevada City and Peardale depots and the NCNG caboose in laser wood kits. I will purchase each as they become available.
      > >
      > > Brian

    • ncngrr5
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 14, 2014

        Hello,

        I am interested in 2 or 3 Stevens Creek kits of the Chicago Park Station in HO scale,

        same for O scale if possible. Plans would also be a help.

        Thank you,

        Mark Swasey

        Grass Valley, CA