Micro Trains Flat Car

  • aaronsplawn
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 8, 2009
      For those who haven't already seen it, Micro Trains just released a Nevada County RTR flat car in Hon3. It's nice to see a manufacturer taking some interest in the NCNG...

      Aaron Splawn (Roseville, Ca.)
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 9, 2009
        Aaron,

        That was an interesting catch I had not seen it myself yet. For those
        curious, based on MT's previous runs this NCNG flat car should be
        based on the F&CC gondolas which were taken down to flat cars while on
        the NCO. Dimensionally the car should be accurate, the trucks are a
        little suspect as I don't have that info in front of me. The paint
        color is 100% inaccurate however despite the nice lettering.

        Good to see you're still around Aaron, I am going to have something to
        send you soon. ;)

        -=Andrew=-
      • aaronsplawn
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 9, 2009
          Hi Brandon and all,

          I'm still around. I've just been taking a short hyatus from modeling and quietly watching posts. Most of my time lately is consumed with PTA and T-ball... :)

          Thanks for giving us the low-down on the new Micro Trains car, but what color was the prototype?

          Take care, Aaron

          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 9, 2009
            Aaron,

            There are a few more issues with the car that I should point out. It
            slipped my mind in the first message. If you take a look at the model
            picture it has a steel frame. The NCNG cars did not as they were the
            flatcar portions of the old F&CC gondolas. MT has been releasing their
            gondola with the steel frame from the Reefer. This means that the car
            is largely only a caricature of the real cars. The lack of truss rods
            is the major problem here. There is a great shot of Flatcar 151 in
            Best's book which will help illustrate the differences for those of
            you curious. Micro Trains is to be commended for NCNG RTR models in
            HOn3, it is a shame that it isn't accurate.

            For the record; the NCNG painted painted their freight cars the same
            color, a bright red. This red would be very similar to an Oxide Red in
            shade, possibly brighter. I have yet to sit down and work up a paint
            match at this point. I would suggest simply using Floquil Zinc
            Chromate Primer, it makes a good Oxide Red. Keep in mind whatever
            color you choose to use should definitely be red and not brown.

            -=Andrew=-
          • flobarchetti
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 10, 2009
              Andrew,

              thank you for providing all that interesting information about the various cabs, int.combustion engines and proper colour on freight cars.

              Reading about colour on freight cars leads me to another question. What was the painting scheme on the NCNGRR for the underbody and the trucks on freight cars?
              (I assume the wooden parts of the car body were bare wood, but have no idea about the metal parts and the trucks.)

              Florian

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 10, 2009
                Florian,

                There are variations in the way the trucks were painted on the NCNG.
                Sometimes they painted the whole truck red, other times they painted
                just the wooden parts red and metal hardware black. I believe that the
                change between the two styles would have likely occurred towards the
                end of operations. I know you had mentioned wanting locomotives with
                the tall cabs, this would place your era of operations post 1915 and
                prior to 1930. For this time frame I would paint the trucks the same
                color as the body.
                As for the underframe; General railroad practice around the country
                would have been to only paint the outer sills of a freight car and any
                visible surface or surface that was directly exposed to the elements.
                There are a lot of foibles when it comes to the paint of NCNG. A good
                example would be the black window frames on the Caboose and the
                Rotary. No one really knows why this was done it just shows up in
                photos. The NCNG excelled at keeping their equipment running any way
                they could so make sure to make variations in things as you go. During
                the Sarah Kidder days for example, some freight cars seem to have been
                painted with a fancier lettering style than the John Kidder days and
                certainly more ornate than the OA&E years.

                Do you have Bruce MacGregor's Birth Of California Narrow Gauge?

                -=Andrew=-
              • carcrazy832
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 11, 2009
                  I was excited that someone was producing a RTR NCNG car and disapointed to find it was not a very accurate model. Micro-Trains used their steel Colorado & Southern underframe car and lettered it for the NCNG. I bought one anyway to encourage the manufacturer that there is interest in a NCNG car. I think we might have a long wait for any truly accurate RTR cars. The big market in HOn3 (if you can call it big) will always be the Colorado roads. I doubt the manufacturers will offer much more than relettered cars for NCNG. I do wish Micro-Trains could have gotten closer on the color though as this is a detail which would be easily matched. Someone else noted the ads and box label note cast steel bettendorf trucks. I think we can be glad they used their archbar trucks instead, since that is a little closer to the prototype.

                  I have thought of lettering a Blackstone flat for NCNG even though I know that car would not be accurate either. But at least it would have truss rods. And the Blackstone cars are very nicely done. Of course it might be best to just scratch-build an accurate flat car. I think Jim Vail had an article in the Gazette a few years ago.

                  At least Stevens Creek Models has produced or announced a few NCNG models. The original Chicago Park depot is a beautiful kit (though in studying photos it looks to me like the model may be a mirror image - does anyone know?). And they have announced plans to produce the Nevada City and Peardale depots and the NCNG caboose in laser wood kits. I will purchase each as they become available.

                  Brian
                  --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Brandon <andrew.brandon@...> wrote:

                  > Aaron,
                  >
                  > There are a few more issues with the car that I should point out. It
                  > slipped my mind in the first message. If you take a look at the model
                  > picture it has a steel frame. The NCNG cars did not as they were the
                  > flatcar portions of the old F&CC gondolas. MT has been releasing their
                  > gondola with the steel frame from the Reefer. This means that the car
                  > is largely only a caricature of the real cars. The lack of truss rods
                  > is the major problem here. There is a great shot of Flatcar 151 in
                  > Best's book which will help illustrate the differences for those of
                  > you curious. Micro Trains is to be commended for NCNG RTR models in
                  > HOn3, it is a shame that it isn't accurate.
                  >
                  > For the record; the NCNG painted painted their freight cars the same
                  > color, a bright red. This red would be very similar to an Oxide Red in
                  > shade, possibly brighter. I have yet to sit down and work up a paint
                  > match at this point. I would suggest simply using Floquil Zinc
                  > Chromate Primer, it makes a good Oxide Red. Keep in mind whatever
                  > color you choose to use should definitely be red and not brown.
                  >
                  > -=Andrew=-

                • kenlunders
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 12, 2009
                    Brian,

                    Thanks for your kind comments regarding my Chicago Park kit. The kit, as offered, is not a mirror image. Much of the source material used in developing the kit was provided via Bill Schaumburg of RMC. As peripheral material! My primary interest was in the Buena Vista/Peardale station. Serendipity was at work, no doubt.

                    There has been little interest in the kit, and that throws doubt on producing others based on NCNG prototypes. At least in the near term. I had hoped that the review of the kit in RMC would boost interest, but the modeler who did the job, IMO anyway, made it look so unappealing even I wouldn't want to buy one. So it goes...

                    Regards,

                    Ken Lunders
                    ---
                    Stevens Creek Models
                    http://www.hon3.com/

                    --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "carcrazy832" <Elainebooth530@...> wrote:
                    > At least Stevens Creek Models has produced or announced a few NCNG models. The original Chicago Park depot is a beautiful kit (though in studying photos it looks to me like the model may be a mirror image - does anyone know?). And they have announced plans to produce the Nevada City and Peardale depots and the NCNG caboose in laser wood kits. I will purchase each as they become available.
                    >
                    > Brian
                  • carcrazy832
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 12, 2009
                      Ken,
                      Thanks for doing such a nice model of a NCNG station. I'm sorry to hear that interest in the model has been low and you may not be able to produce other NCNG projects. Maybe a few on this group will take an interest and purchase a kit? My mom's cousin lived in Chicago Park and I have fond memories of visiting the area as a kid. Though the NCNG was long gone by then, it has always been an interest of mine.

                      Does your information on the Chicago Park depot tell of the buildings orientation and modifications through it's various (3?) moves? I have been trying to reconcile the various photos I have seen. In Best's book on page 53, the depot is oriented with the platform toward the tracks but with the post office/ticket office door apparently away from the tracks. The office addition is dark in color (unpainted?) and there is a bench along the side wall of the freight end of the building. The photo caption says this was the original location of the depot. Does anyone know the direction the camera is facing or which side of the track the the depot was located on?

                      In pictures of the building at Peardale/Buena Vista, there seem to be two buildings adjacent to each other. Which one would be the old depot? There is a window left of center in the wall nearest the Peardale depot, but this would not match the depot kit, so is this a different building in front of the old depot?

                      I have always liked the scene at Peardale/Buena Vista with the "S" shaped curve in the track, the sidings, the buildings on either side, and the meadow and fence line. I sketched up a little module of the scene and planned to use a Stvens Creek model for the depot if it became available. Oh well.

                      I guess the NCNG will remain a minority interest with few accurate models available. The ony items I can think of are the Stevens Creek depot, Rio Grande Models and LaBelle F&CC style box cars, the old Kemtron box car, the Classic Minatures tank cars, the RGM crane for Nevada City, and of course the Westside #9 locomotive - all in HO. In O scale I think there were models of #5, #8, and #9 and the newer Chicago Park depot. Have there been others? I still think the newer Chicago Park depot might sell in HO since it is such a classic and attractive small station design.

                      Thanks again to Ken to adding to the small list of NCNG products produced through the years.

                      Brian
                      --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "kenlunders" <ken@...> wrote:

                      > Brian,
                      >
                      > Thanks for your kind comments regarding my Chicago Park kit. The kit, as offered, is not a mirror image. Much of the source material used in developing the kit was provided via Bill Schaumburg of RMC. As peripheral material! My primary interest was in the Buena Vista/Peardale station. Serendipity was at work, no doubt.
                      >
                      > There has been little interest in the kit, and that throws doubt on producing others based on NCNG prototypes. At least in the near term. I had hoped that the review of the kit in RMC would boost interest, but the modeler who did the job, IMO anyway, made it look so unappealing even I wouldn't want to buy one. So it goes...
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      >
                      > Ken Lunders
                      > ---
                      > Stevens Creek Models
                      > http://www.hon3.com/
                      >

                      > --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "carcrazy832" <Elainebooth530@> wrote:
                      > > At least Stevens Creek Models has produced or announced a few NCNG models. The original Chicago Park depot is a beautiful kit (though in studying photos it looks to me like the model may be a mirror image - does anyone know?). And they have announced plans to produce the Nevada City and Peardale depots and the NCNG caboose in laser wood kits. I will purchase each as they become available.
                      > >
                      > > Brian

                    • ncngrr5
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 14, 2014

                        Hello,

                        I am interested in 2 or 3 Stevens Creek kits of the Chicago Park Station in HO scale,

                        same for O scale if possible. Plans would also be a help.

                        Thank you,

                        Mark Swasey

                        Grass Valley, CA