Re: Colfax Depot

  • conuarch@hughes.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 7, 2009
      Hello again...one other source for the Sanborn Insurance Maps is the Searls Historical Library in Nevada City. They're at 214 Church Street and are open !:00 to 4:00 Monday thru Sat (closed Sunday) The library also has an extensive photo collection of the NCNG available for viewing and you can order copies or TIFF files. I do volunteer work there a couple days a week.

      Eric

      On Mar 6, 2009, dennisivison@... wrote:

      Hello Everyone,

      It sure has been quiet around here lately. Does anyone know the dimensions of the Colfax Depot? I have tons of pictures, but no actual dimensions. Judging by the number of studs showing in a picture from the renovation it appears to be 30' wide? I plan on building a 1/4 scale model for my layout.

      Thank you,
      Dennis

    • Brian Leppert
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 7, 2009
        Dennis,

        I measured it at 24 1/2 feet wide by about 89 1/2 feet long.

        Brian Leppert
        Carson City, NV

        --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Ivison" <dennisivison@...> wrote:

        > Hello Everyone,
        >
        > It sure has been quiet around here lately. Does anyone know the dimensions of the Colfax Depot? I have tons of pictures, but no actual dimensions. Judging by the number of studs showing in a picture from the renovation it appears to be 30' wide? I plan on building a 1/4 scale model for my layout.
        >
        > Thank you,
        > Dennis

      • conuarch
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 7, 2009
          One of your best resources for the sizs of the buildings at the Colfax depot area are the Sanborn Insurance Maps which were published in the years 1898, 1907, 1910 and possibly later. These maps are available from www.oldusamaps.com or, if you're in the Nevada City area, stop by the Searls Historical Library at 214 Church Street. The maps are avilable there as well as an extensive photo collection of the NCNG (available for purchase. The library is open 6 days a week 1:00 to 4:00 (closed Sunday)

          Eric Roberts
          Nevada City

          > Dennis,
          >
          > I measured it at 24 1/2 feet wide by about 89 1/2 feet long.
          >
          > Brian Leppert
          > Carson City, NV
          >
          > --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Ivison" <dennisivison@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello Everyone,
          > >
          > > It sure has been quiet around here lately. Does anyone know the dimensions of the Colfax Depot? I have tons of pictures, but no actual dimensions. Judging by the number of studs showing in a picture from the renovation it appears to be 30' wide? I plan on building a 1/4 scale model for my layout.
          > >
          > > Thank you,
          > > Dennis

        • Dennis Ivison
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 7, 2009
            Thanks everyone for your help. I live in Garden Grove, down here in So. Cal. and can only get up there maybe once a year. Last trip I took a lot of pix of the depot, but forgot to break out the measuring tape. I have all of the NCNG books (Best, etc.) and a floor plan, but no measurements, the same with all of my SP books. I plan on building the depots at Nevada City, Chicago Park, and Colfax; and maybe the freight shed at Colfax as well.

            Thank you,
            Dennis Ivison