Narrow Gauge at the Empire Mine

  • gauge18rr
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 23, 2008
      Today I checked out the Empire Mine. The main tracks in the shaft were 24" gauge, but there
      were also 18" gauge shop tracks and some dual gauge apparent. I saw one air locomotive
      and several battery locomotives, including three almost new or rebuilt locomotives in one
      shop. Perhaps a train ride is envisioned in the future?

      Anyway, what really caught my attention was a steel crossbuck outside of the grounds near
      the hoist house. Right-of-way was also apparent, and there were even some rails embedded
      in the gravel road crossing. I imagine this railroad had something to do with the tailings
      generated by the mine, but how extensive, what gauge, and what kind of power used was not
      clear. If anyone knows, I would be glad to hear it!
      Thanks!
      O. Anderson