Re: Old trolley tracks unearthed at East Main roundabout site

  • Harry Marnell
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 12, 2008
      Able to get the article yet, Tom, Dick? - Harry

      Gerald Best has a nicely illustrated 13-page chapter about the trolley line
      in his "Nevada County Narrow Gauge" book from Howell-North.

      His last paragraph is the preface to today's news item, as he describes the
      virtually unopposed abandonment after the severe snowstorm on New Year's
      Day, 1924:

      "A few months later, [owner John] Martin had the line dismantled. The rails
      were pulled up except where they were imbedded in the street paving, the
      power plant dismantled, and eventually the building was torn down... Today
      [1965] faint traces of the line can be seen... but otherwise it has vanished
      into the limbo of street railways throughout the land."

      When I lived in Grass Valley in the early 80s there were still a few traces
      here and there, but only if you *really* knew where to look. Probably even
      fewer today with all the growth that's overcome GV.

      Harry
    • Cathy & Ernie von Ibsch
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 13, 2008
        Harry what was the date of the article. When you go the Union link no article. I searched by subject no results. Thanks Ernie
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 13, 2008
          Hi Ernie,

          It was in the 11/12/08 edition (online) and a lot of people seem to be
          having trouble getting it for some reason.

          Try this URL
          http://www.theunion.com/article/20081112/NEWS/811119894&parentprofile=search
          or
          http://tinyurl.com/5kq68z

          Or else at
          http://www.theunion.com/apps/pbcs.dll/search?Category=SEARCH put "trolley"
          in the "Search Archives by Keyword" box and try that.

          I don't know what the deal with the link is.

          Harry
          Old "Box 15 Club" visitor

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 13, 2008
            The second link worked for me earlier today when you posted it.

            On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 10:20 AM, Harry A Marnell <RedCars@...> wrote:
            > Hi Ernie,
            >
            > It was in the 11/12/08 edition (online) and a lot of people seem to be
            > having trouble getting it for some reason.
            >
            > Try this URL
            > http://www.theunion.com/article/20081112/NEWS/811119894&parentprofile=search
            > or
            > http://tinyurl.com/5kq68z
            >
            > Or else at
            > http://www.theunion.com/apps/pbcs.dll/search?Category=SEARCH put "trolley"
            > in the "Search Archives by Keyword" box and try that.
            >
            > I don't know what the deal with the link is.
            >
            > Harry
            > Old "Box 15 Club" visitor
            >
            > Cathy & Ernie von Ibsch wrote:
            >> Harry what was the date of the article. When you go the Union link no
            >> article. I searched by subject no results. Thanks Ernie

          • Cathy & Ernie von Ibsch
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 13, 2008
              Hello Harry, THANKS for the quick reply and Andrew too. I have followed this group for many years (NCNGRR) and The Radio Reference. I has been along time since the Box 15. Ernie