Old trolley tracks unearthed at East Main roundabout site

  • Harry A Marnell
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 12, 2008
      I think you would be interested in reading this.

      Link to the story:: http://www.theunion.com/article/2008811119894

      Nevada County Traction Company rails uncovered on Grass Valley

      Best Regards
      Harry A Marnell
    • Harry A Marnell
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 12, 2008
        http://www.theunion.com/article/20081112/NEWS/811119894&parentprofile=search

        > On Nov 12, 2008, at 6:24 PM, rsshelley43@... wrote:
        >> Hey there, Harry. It may just be me, but all I get is an "article
        >> not available" notice.

        Thanks, Bill. The original link was good 30 minutes ago, but then POOF.

        Note in the comments down below the article that some folks are taking
        exception to the contractor's employee's plan to take the stuff home with
        him. The "...or illegal" part of the paragraph has been added since the
        article first went online. Someone must've had second thoughts :)

        Harry
      • Harry Marnell
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 12, 2008
          Able to get the article yet, Tom, Dick? - Harry

          Gerald Best has a nicely illustrated 13-page chapter about the trolley line
          in his "Nevada County Narrow Gauge" book from Howell-North.

          His last paragraph is the preface to today's news item, as he describes the
          virtually unopposed abandonment after the severe snowstorm on New Year's
          Day, 1924:

          "A few months later, [owner John] Martin had the line dismantled. The rails
          were pulled up except where they were imbedded in the street paving, the
          power plant dismantled, and eventually the building was torn down... Today
          [1965] faint traces of the line can be seen... but otherwise it has vanished
          into the limbo of street railways throughout the land."

          When I lived in Grass Valley in the early 80s there were still a few traces
          here and there, but only if you *really* knew where to look. Probably even
          fewer today with all the growth that's overcome GV.

          Harry
        • Cathy & Ernie von Ibsch
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 13, 2008
            Harry what was the date of the article. When you go the Union link no article. I searched by subject no results. Thanks Ernie
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 13, 2008
              Hi Ernie,

              It was in the 11/12/08 edition (online) and a lot of people seem to be
              having trouble getting it for some reason.

              Try this URL
              http://www.theunion.com/article/20081112/NEWS/811119894&parentprofile=search
              or
              http://tinyurl.com/5kq68z

              Or else at
              http://www.theunion.com/apps/pbcs.dll/search?Category=SEARCH put "trolley"
              in the "Search Archives by Keyword" box and try that.

              I don't know what the deal with the link is.

              Harry
              Old "Box 15 Club" visitor

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 13, 2008
                The second link worked for me earlier today when you posted it.

                On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 10:20 AM, Harry A Marnell <RedCars@...> wrote:
                > Hi Ernie,
                >
                > It was in the 11/12/08 edition (online) and a lot of people seem to be
                > having trouble getting it for some reason.
                >
                > Try this URL
                > http://www.theunion.com/article/20081112/NEWS/811119894&parentprofile=search
                > or
                > http://tinyurl.com/5kq68z
                >
                > Or else at
                > http://www.theunion.com/apps/pbcs.dll/search?Category=SEARCH put "trolley"
                > in the "Search Archives by Keyword" box and try that.
                >
                > I don't know what the deal with the link is.
                >
                > Harry
                > Old "Box 15 Club" visitor
                >
                > Cathy & Ernie von Ibsch wrote:
                >> Harry what was the date of the article. When you go the Union link no
                >> article. I searched by subject no results. Thanks Ernie

              • Cathy & Ernie von Ibsch
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 13, 2008
                  Hello Harry, THANKS for the quick reply and Andrew too. I have followed this group for many years (NCNGRR) and The Radio Reference. I has been along time since the Box 15. Ernie