Re: Re: Overhead crane at Nevada City?

  • Harry A Marnell
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 14 10:24 AM
      Unless I missed one (entirely possible) the two pics in Browne's book that
      "should" show the crane, don't. On p 37 is a "circa 1900-1914" shot, which
      may be too early; the other on p 167 says "late 1930s" and may be too late.
      A nice depot picture that shows just part of the crane is on the USC Digital
      Archive site at
      http://digarc.usc.edu/search/controller/view/chs-m20110.html

      Harry

    • eabracher@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 14 11:50 AM
        Looks similar to Rio Grande Models overhead crane #3027-LO $15.00

        **************
      • EANDPNG@AOL.COM
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 14 12:16 PM
          Sorry about that Eric, I knew I had seen one someplace.
          Greg

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 14 10:21 PM
            Learn something New every day in this group :D

            That was something i was totally un aware of at the Nevada City Depot.
            Even In 1984 Model ralroad focus on Nevada City it is not mentioned
            at all.

          • EANDPNG@AOL.COM
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 15 9:33 PM
              I found the following in the 1912 California Railroad Commission report
              on the NCNG.

              Nevada City traveling crane, wood frame with four wheel truck, four 12"
              diameter cast iron wheels, 25' long 8' spread 1902+
              Built by PG&E Co (Pacific Gas & Electric) for their convenience in
              unloading from flats onto wagons and vice versa, but
              left to NCNGRR when hauling was finished by PG&E Co and still in use by
              NCNGRR.

              Cheers,
              Greg Maxwell
            • EANDPNG@AOL.COM
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 15 9:43 PM
                Doug,
                I also found this in the 1912 valuation regarding the freight portion
                of the Nevada City depot,
                "Not painted nor sealed or lined inside"
                Greg