Re: Nevada City depot colors question

  • EANDPNG@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 10, 2008
      Doug,
      I dug out my photos of the Nevada City depot and one I have of the non
      passenger end of the warehouse shows what may be hints of gray paint.
      To raise another question, was part of this end of the warehouse
      removed when the "tin barn" was added? The photo I have shows a covered
      Also when was the overhead crane next to the depot removed?
      Greg

      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 13, 2008
        Overhead Crane??? Doug, mentioned an overhead crane in his note.
        What overhead crane? any pics of it somewhere? That is a detail I
        was totlly unaware of!

        Thanks
        Mike

        -- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, EANDPNG@... wrote:

        > Doug,
        > I dug out my photos of the Nevada City depot and one I have of the
        non
        > passenger end of the warehouse shows what may be hints of gray
        paint.
        > To raise another question, was part of this end of the warehouse
        > removed when the "tin barn" was added? The photo I have shows a
        covered
        > Also when was the overhead crane next to the depot removed?
        > Greg

      • Greg Maxwell
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 13, 2008
          Mike,
          I have two photos that show the overhead crane at Nevada City. I think
          one of them was used in Brown's book but my NCNG books are packed away
          right now. The crane sat near the end of the team track about even
          with the passenger depot. I remember that someone made a HO model of a
          timber gantry crane that looked much like the crane at Nevada City,
          maybe Durango Press?

          Regards,
          Greg Maxwell

        • EANDPNG@AOL.COM
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 14, 2008
            Group,
            I have uploaded a picture of the crane at Nevada City but it went into
            the Chicago Park album? According to the ICC valuation material it was
            built in 1908 and had a 24' span.
            Regards,
            Greg Maxwell

            I have two photos that show the overhead crane at Nevada City. I think
            one of them was used in Brown's book but my NCNG books are packed away
            right now. The crane sat near the end of the team track about even
            with the passenger depot. I remember that someone made a HO model of a
            timber gantry crane that looked much like the crane at Nevada City,
            maybe Durango Press?

            Regards,
            Greg Maxwell

            --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <dasredbaron@...> wrote:

            > Overhead Crane??? Doug, mentioned an overhead crane in his note.
            > What overhead crane? any pics of it somewhere? That is a detail I
            > was totlly unaware of!
            >
            > Thanks
            > Mike

          • Harry A Marnell
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 14, 2008
              Unless I missed one (entirely possible) the two pics in Browne's book that
              "should" show the crane, don't. On p 37 is a "circa 1900-1914" shot, which
              may be too early; the other on p 167 says "late 1930s" and may be too late.
              A nice depot picture that shows just part of the crane is on the USC Digital
              Archive site at
              http://digarc.usc.edu/search/controller/view/chs-m20110.html

              Harry

            • eabracher@aol.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 14, 2008
                Looks similar to Rio Grande Models overhead crane #3027-LO $15.00

                **************
              • EANDPNG@AOL.COM
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 14, 2008
                  Sorry about that Eric, I knew I had seen one someplace.
                  Greg

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 14, 2008
                    Learn something New every day in this group :D

                    That was something i was totally un aware of at the Nevada City Depot.
                    Even In 1984 Model ralroad focus on Nevada City it is not mentioned
                    at all.

                  • EANDPNG@AOL.COM
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 15, 2008
                      I found the following in the 1912 California Railroad Commission report
                      on the NCNG.

                      Nevada City traveling crane, wood frame with four wheel truck, four 12"
                      diameter cast iron wheels, 25' long 8' spread 1902+
                      Built by PG&E Co (Pacific Gas & Electric) for their convenience in
                      unloading from flats onto wagons and vice versa, but
                      left to NCNGRR when hauling was finished by PG&E Co and still in use by
                      NCNGRR.

                      Cheers,
                      Greg Maxwell
                    • EANDPNG@AOL.COM
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 15, 2008
                        Doug,
                        I also found this in the 1912 valuation regarding the freight portion
                        of the Nevada City depot,
                        "Not painted nor sealed or lined inside"
                        Greg