Re: Nevada City depot colors question

  • Doug MacLeod
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 10 9:51 AM
      Herman Darr and Ken Yeo said when the Nevada City depot was torn down, which was actually the warehouse before the depot burned down, there were signs of the OA&E two tone gray.  I haven't found a single photograph that shows that building was painted before the railroad closed down, other than some of the window frames were painted.  The building may have been painted red, but I haven't found any evidence to prove it.   The Nevada City depot that burned down around 1930, was appears to have the OA&E  two tone gray paint.  A photo of the depot appears on page 120 of Best's NCNG book.
      Doug MacLeod, Roseville, CA
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 10 11:11 AM
        Doug,
        I dug out my photos of the Nevada City depot and one I have of the non
        passenger end of the warehouse shows what may be hints of gray paint.
        To raise another question, was part of this end of the warehouse
        removed when the "tin barn" was added? The photo I have shows a covered
        Also when was the overhead crane next to the depot removed?
        Greg

        I believe that the oxide red color would only apply to the new depot
        at Nevada City. From about 1910 on all depots were painted in the two
        tone gray paint scheme used by the parent OA&E.
        Best regards,
        Greg Maxwell
        West Linn, OR

        --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Brandon" <andrew.brandon@...> >
        As far as I have found thus far, the depots were a form of Oxide Red,
        > one of these days I'll get around to making some color samples for
        > things but spare time is a luxury I don't have these days.
      • Mike
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 13 4:21 AM
          Overhead Crane??? Doug, mentioned an overhead crane in his note.
          What overhead crane? any pics of it somewhere? That is a detail I
          was totlly unaware of!

          Thanks
          Mike

          -- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, EANDPNG@... wrote:

          > Doug,
          > I dug out my photos of the Nevada City depot and one I have of the
          non
          > passenger end of the warehouse shows what may be hints of gray
          paint.
          > To raise another question, was part of this end of the warehouse
          > removed when the "tin barn" was added? The photo I have shows a
          covered
          > Also when was the overhead crane next to the depot removed?
          > Greg

        • Greg Maxwell
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 13 8:46 AM
            Mike,
            I have two photos that show the overhead crane at Nevada City. I think
            one of them was used in Brown's book but my NCNG books are packed away
            right now. The crane sat near the end of the team track about even
            with the passenger depot. I remember that someone made a HO model of a
            timber gantry crane that looked much like the crane at Nevada City,
            maybe Durango Press?

            Regards,
            Greg Maxwell

          • EANDPNG@AOL.COM
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 14 9:54 AM
              Group,
              I have uploaded a picture of the crane at Nevada City but it went into
              the Chicago Park album? According to the ICC valuation material it was
              built in 1908 and had a 24' span.
              Regards,
              Greg Maxwell

              I have two photos that show the overhead crane at Nevada City. I think
              one of them was used in Brown's book but my NCNG books are packed away
              right now. The crane sat near the end of the team track about even
              with the passenger depot. I remember that someone made a HO model of a
              timber gantry crane that looked much like the crane at Nevada City,
              maybe Durango Press?

              Regards,
              Greg Maxwell

              --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <dasredbaron@...> wrote:

              > Overhead Crane??? Doug, mentioned an overhead crane in his note.
              > What overhead crane? any pics of it somewhere? That is a detail I
              > was totlly unaware of!
              >
              > Thanks
              > Mike

            • Harry A Marnell
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 14 10:24 AM
                Unless I missed one (entirely possible) the two pics in Browne's book that
                "should" show the crane, don't. On p 37 is a "circa 1900-1914" shot, which
                may be too early; the other on p 167 says "late 1930s" and may be too late.
                A nice depot picture that shows just part of the crane is on the USC Digital
                Archive site at
                http://digarc.usc.edu/search/controller/view/chs-m20110.html

                Harry

              • eabracher@aol.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 14 11:50 AM
                  Looks similar to Rio Grande Models overhead crane #3027-LO $15.00

                  **************
                • EANDPNG@AOL.COM
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 14 12:16 PM
                    Sorry about that Eric, I knew I had seen one someplace.
                    Greg

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 14 10:21 PM
                      Learn something New every day in this group :D

                      That was something i was totally un aware of at the Nevada City Depot.
                      Even In 1984 Model ralroad focus on Nevada City it is not mentioned
                      at all.

                    • EANDPNG@AOL.COM
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 15 9:33 PM
                        I found the following in the 1912 California Railroad Commission report
                        on the NCNG.

                        Nevada City traveling crane, wood frame with four wheel truck, four 12"
                        diameter cast iron wheels, 25' long 8' spread 1902+
                        Built by PG&E Co (Pacific Gas & Electric) for their convenience in
                        unloading from flats onto wagons and vice versa, but
                        left to NCNGRR when hauling was finished by PG&E Co and still in use by
                        NCNGRR.

                        Cheers,
                        Greg Maxwell
                      • EANDPNG@AOL.COM
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 15 9:43 PM
                          Doug,
                          I also found this in the 1912 valuation regarding the freight portion
                          of the Nevada City depot,
                          "Not painted nor sealed or lined inside"
                          Greg