Re: Re: New Chicago Park Photos

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 9, 2008
      Olin,

      Your shot of the packing shed in Chicago Park is actually a remaining
      part of the Chicago Park depot. The yard site there in Chicago Park
      has been moved around so much and so much changed over the years that
      the depot was rebuilt over time into the structure you see there. If
      you take a good look at the north end of the structure you can see
      parts of the remaining roof still around.
      Also on your next trip, the earlier Chicago Park depot is located just
      about where highway 174 curves to run parallel with the ROW. There is
      a very over grown area in there just beyond a small "farm", this is
      the location of the earlier depot.

      If you're interested we could put together a trip and go photograph
      the ROW when it gets cooler.
      You'll be amazed what the Circus Train wreck site looks like these days. ;)
    • gauge18rr
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 9, 2008
        Heya Andrew,
        Too bad you missed our hike up to Old Pino last weekend. Anyway, I'm looking forward to
        exploring the NCNG with you when the time is right. I could be convinced that the
        packing shed was always like it is, and that the loading docks were twice as wide as that
        small remnant in the southwest corner, extending clear north alongside the building. But
        it would be cool if the depot was buried in that mess. It just seems that the roof of the
        shed was bigger than that of the depot, which I also get from the Best view, looking south
        on top of the boxcar/fan trip.

        I spent a little time looking at the Chicago Park Store, and it seems to be built in a manner
        similar to the depot. Maybe the carpenters at the railroad built it too.

        Chicago Park (and its orchard) would be a nice destination for the historic/tourist railroad
        out of Colfax. If it were to happen. Maybe I had hallucinogenic cucumbers for dinner,
        though.
        O.