Re: Re: New Chicago Park Photos

  • Harry A Marnell
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 7, 2008
      Well shoot-heck. It's there in the message list, but I didn't get a copy of
      your email announcing the uploads. And I'm the group moderator (for what
      THAT's worth). Great pics, and I especially like your captions "locating"
      each shot for us.

      Thank you so much, "O."

      Harry

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 9, 2008
        Olin,

        Your shot of the packing shed in Chicago Park is actually a remaining
        part of the Chicago Park depot. The yard site there in Chicago Park
        has been moved around so much and so much changed over the years that
        the depot was rebuilt over time into the structure you see there. If
        you take a good look at the north end of the structure you can see
        parts of the remaining roof still around.
        Also on your next trip, the earlier Chicago Park depot is located just
        about where highway 174 curves to run parallel with the ROW. There is
        a very over grown area in there just beyond a small "farm", this is
        the location of the earlier depot.

        If you're interested we could put together a trip and go photograph
        the ROW when it gets cooler.
        You'll be amazed what the Circus Train wreck site looks like these days. ;)
      • gauge18rr
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 9, 2008
          Heya Andrew,
          Too bad you missed our hike up to Old Pino last weekend. Anyway, I'm looking forward to
          exploring the NCNG with you when the time is right. I could be convinced that the
          packing shed was always like it is, and that the loading docks were twice as wide as that
          small remnant in the southwest corner, extending clear north alongside the building. But
          it would be cool if the depot was buried in that mess. It just seems that the roof of the
          shed was bigger than that of the depot, which I also get from the Best view, looking south
          on top of the boxcar/fan trip.

          I spent a little time looking at the Chicago Park Store, and it seems to be built in a manner
          similar to the depot. Maybe the carpenters at the railroad built it too.

          Chicago Park (and its orchard) would be a nice destination for the historic/tourist railroad
          out of Colfax. If it were to happen. Maybe I had hallucinogenic cucumbers for dinner,
          though.
          O.