Re: New Chicago Park Photos

  • aaronsplawn
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 7, 2008
      Thanks for sharing these great photos. The old Ford was the perfect
      touch!!!

      Aaron Splawn (Roseville, Ca.)

      --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "gauge18rr" <olanderson@...> wrote:

      > Hi there,
      > I just uploaded 7 photos I took in or near Chicago Park. If you need
      hi res, let me know I I
      > will send them via personal email.
      > Enjoy
      > O.

    • Harry A Marnell
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 7, 2008
        Well shoot-heck. It's there in the message list, but I didn't get a copy of
        your email announcing the uploads. And I'm the group moderator (for what
        THAT's worth). Great pics, and I especially like your captions "locating"
        each shot for us.

        Thank you so much, "O."

        Harry

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 9, 2008
          Olin,

          Your shot of the packing shed in Chicago Park is actually a remaining
          part of the Chicago Park depot. The yard site there in Chicago Park
          has been moved around so much and so much changed over the years that
          the depot was rebuilt over time into the structure you see there. If
          you take a good look at the north end of the structure you can see
          parts of the remaining roof still around.
          Also on your next trip, the earlier Chicago Park depot is located just
          about where highway 174 curves to run parallel with the ROW. There is
          a very over grown area in there just beyond a small "farm", this is
          the location of the earlier depot.

          If you're interested we could put together a trip and go photograph
          the ROW when it gets cooler.
          You'll be amazed what the Circus Train wreck site looks like these days. ;)
        • gauge18rr
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 9, 2008
            Heya Andrew,
            Too bad you missed our hike up to Old Pino last weekend. Anyway, I'm looking forward to
            exploring the NCNG with you when the time is right. I could be convinced that the
            packing shed was always like it is, and that the loading docks were twice as wide as that
            small remnant in the southwest corner, extending clear north alongside the building. But
            it would be cool if the depot was buried in that mess. It just seems that the roof of the
            shed was bigger than that of the depot, which I also get from the Best view, looking south
            on top of the boxcar/fan trip.

            I spent a little time looking at the Chicago Park Store, and it seems to be built in a manner
            similar to the depot. Maybe the carpenters at the railroad built it too.

            Chicago Park (and its orchard) would be a nice destination for the historic/tourist railroad
            out of Colfax. If it were to happen. Maybe I had hallucinogenic cucumbers for dinner,
            though.
            O.