New Chicago Park Photos

  • gauge18rr
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1 11:08 PM
      Hi there,
      I just uploaded 7 photos I took in or near Chicago Park. If you need hi res, let me know I I
      will send them via personal email.
      Enjoy
      O.
    • aaronsplawn
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 7 2:05 PM
        Thanks for sharing these great photos. The old Ford was the perfect
        touch!!!

        Aaron Splawn (Roseville, Ca.)

        --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "gauge18rr" <olanderson@...> wrote:

        > Hi there,
        > I just uploaded 7 photos I took in or near Chicago Park. If you need
        hi res, let me know I I
        > will send them via personal email.
        > Enjoy
        > O.

      • Harry A Marnell
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 7 2:17 PM
          Well shoot-heck. It's there in the message list, but I didn't get a copy of
          your email announcing the uploads. And I'm the group moderator (for what
          THAT's worth). Great pics, and I especially like your captions "locating"
          each shot for us.

          Thank you so much, "O."

          Harry

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 9 10:50 AM
            Olin,

            Your shot of the packing shed in Chicago Park is actually a remaining
            part of the Chicago Park depot. The yard site there in Chicago Park
            has been moved around so much and so much changed over the years that
            the depot was rebuilt over time into the structure you see there. If
            you take a good look at the north end of the structure you can see
            parts of the remaining roof still around.
            Also on your next trip, the earlier Chicago Park depot is located just
            about where highway 174 curves to run parallel with the ROW. There is
            a very over grown area in there just beyond a small "farm", this is
            the location of the earlier depot.

            If you're interested we could put together a trip and go photograph
            the ROW when it gets cooler.
            You'll be amazed what the Circus Train wreck site looks like these days. ;)
          • gauge18rr
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 9 10:43 PM
              Heya Andrew,
              Too bad you missed our hike up to Old Pino last weekend. Anyway, I'm looking forward to
              exploring the NCNG with you when the time is right. I could be convinced that the
              packing shed was always like it is, and that the loading docks were twice as wide as that
              small remnant in the southwest corner, extending clear north alongside the building. But
              it would be cool if the depot was buried in that mess. It just seems that the roof of the
              shed was bigger than that of the depot, which I also get from the Best view, looking south
              on top of the boxcar/fan trip.

              I spent a little time looking at the Chicago Park Store, and it seems to be built in a manner
              similar to the depot. Maybe the carpenters at the railroad built it too.

              Chicago Park (and its orchard) would be a nice destination for the historic/tourist railroad
              out of Colfax. If it were to happen. Maybe I had hallucinogenic cucumbers for dinner,
              though.
              O.