Re: Gold Quartz monument in Colfax questions

  • gauge18rr
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2008
      Kinda quiet around here, eh?
      I was in Colfax this weekend, then looked at the books afterwards to try to figure out what
      I was looking at. As I see it, the quartz monument was in the current grassy area east of
      the restored SP passenger depot. Its shown in a photo about 2/3 the way through the
      Best book. It's squarish, maybe 12'x12' and 10' tall, with two pillars flanking the standard
      gauge side. Because it was made of (probably) gold bearing quartz, my guess is that it
      did not survive the depression.

      Apparently there will be a Colfax Railroad days this year, September 27 and 28. It would
      be nice for some people to provide some history of the NCNG there, that day.
      O. Anderson

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 23, 2009
        Talk about dredging up an old topic...

        I was poking around online preparing to do some research trips this
        year. I typically check the Bancroft Library for NCNG information and
        located a photograph that may solve a few questions about the Quartz
        Monument.
        I located this wonderful high res photograph of the monument, no idea
        on the date but hopefully someone who knows Colfax can date this one.

        http://content.cdlib.org/ark:/28722/bk000109041/?&query=train&brand=oac

        This puts the Quartz Monument on the North side of Grass Valley St.
        and it appears to be between the CP/SP and NCNG.

        Has any figured out when it was removed?

        -=Andrew=-
      • Mike
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 30, 2009
          That is a great photo of the old monument,

          that fills a big gap on my layout
        • Mike
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 31, 2009
          • empirita
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 31, 2009
              Mike,

              If you attached an email to your post, it did not come through. The Yahoo groups strips out attachments. Please put the picture in the Photos section and let the group know where it is.

              David
            • carcrazy832
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 13 10:04 AM
                There is also a photo of the monument in the Narrow Gauge Annual Summer 2007. The monument is on the extreme right of the full page photo on page #25. The photo caption only indicates it was taken in the 1920s. This photo, along with the one on page 148 of the Best book, shows the monument's position in relation to the station buildings.

                Brian