Gold Quartz monument in Colfax questions

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 30, 2008
      Hi all

      I believe this stood just North of the the two station buildings,
      (main passanger and then the security office).
      Does this monument still stand? Are there any known pics of it beside
      what was in the book? trying to build a model of it for my layout,
      but have no idea of her size, shape, color or nothing, just that
      it "was there" at sometime.

      anyone,, anyone,, Bueller?

      thanks

      Mike D
    • gauge18rr
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1 12:25 PM
        Kinda quiet around here, eh?
        I was in Colfax this weekend, then looked at the books afterwards to try to figure out what
        I was looking at. As I see it, the quartz monument was in the current grassy area east of
        the restored SP passenger depot. Its shown in a photo about 2/3 the way through the
        Best book. It's squarish, maybe 12'x12' and 10' tall, with two pillars flanking the standard
        gauge side. Because it was made of (probably) gold bearing quartz, my guess is that it
        did not survive the depression.

        Apparently there will be a Colfax Railroad days this year, September 27 and 28. It would
        be nice for some people to provide some history of the NCNG there, that day.
        O. Anderson

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 23, 2009
          Talk about dredging up an old topic...

          I was poking around online preparing to do some research trips this
          year. I typically check the Bancroft Library for NCNG information and
          located a photograph that may solve a few questions about the Quartz
          Monument.
          I located this wonderful high res photograph of the monument, no idea
          on the date but hopefully someone who knows Colfax can date this one.

          http://content.cdlib.org/ark:/28722/bk000109041/?&query=train&brand=oac

          This puts the Quartz Monument on the North side of Grass Valley St.
          and it appears to be between the CP/SP and NCNG.

          Has any figured out when it was removed?

          -=Andrew=-
        • Mike
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 30, 2009
            That is a great photo of the old monument,

            that fills a big gap on my layout
          • Mike
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 31, 2009
            • empirita
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 31, 2009
                Mike,

                If you attached an email to your post, it did not come through. The Yahoo groups strips out attachments. Please put the picture in the Photos section and let the group know where it is.

                David
              • carcrazy832
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 13, 2009
                  There is also a photo of the monument in the Narrow Gauge Annual Summer 2007. The monument is on the extreme right of the full page photo on page #25. The photo caption only indicates it was taken in the 1920s. This photo, along with the one on page 148 of the Best book, shows the monument's position in relation to the station buildings.

                  Brian