Re: Passenger Car Questions...

  • Dennis Ivison
    Message 1 of 7 , May 9, 2008
      Andrew,

      My first thought after I decided to move out of N-Scale was Sn3, but
      I found this scale to be very expensive, in kit form, and difficult
      to find. Then I looked into On3, also expensive and hard to find,
      then a friend showed me On30. After some thought I decided that I
      could live with a 0.10 difference in track scale in a trade off for
      relatively inexpensive equipment and ready availability (there are 3
      LHS here that stock On30).

      I have good drawings of all of the NG's rolling stock except for the
      fruit cars; and the Bachmann stuff matches up close enough for me to
      easily modify them to match NG cars. I'll use the Bachmann flats with
      scratch built car bodies for the fruit cars once I get some drawings
      of them.

      The passenger cars and combines will take a lot more work. The
      Bachmann cars are the right length but have too few windows, so I'll
      have to make new car sides for them.

      The locomotives are a different story, Bachmann has nothing close.
      But, I wasn't able to find anything in the other scales either that
      was a match for the NG. I'm sure if something ever did come available
      in those scales the price would be out of my range. If I ever get the
      ambition to bash the Bachmann's into something close to an NG loco,
      cutting a $200 locomotive is a lot less daunting than an $800 one!

      Dennis

      --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Brandon" <andrew.brandon@...>
      wrote:

      > Dennis,
      >
      > I thought I heard rumblings of a possible DVD version, but I haven't
      > heard anything concrete.
      > Here are some stills from the video however.
      > http://community-2.webtv.net/@HH!02!0D!
      14DE915BE8D5/NCNG/NEVADACOUNTYNARROW/page3.html
      > You can see one of the SP cars in the still of Chicago Park, but it
      is
      > sadly in the shade so you can't get a good feel for the color.
      > There is a fantastic shot of boxcar on that page in color though.
      >
      > NCNG colors can be tough to track down simply because of a few
      > factors, the lack of existing paperwork doesn't help so we have to
      go
      > on what Johnny Nolan related to folks over the year and others
      > memories or what little documentation we have. On top of this, the
      > NCNG was a first class operation for many years before finally
      giving
      > up the "Ghost Of John Kidder" and starting to lose the flair in
      their
      > paint.
      > If you take a look at lettering around the turn of the century on
      > freight equipment you'll notice that the lettering has an awful lot
      of
      > curls and extravagance to them, even during the Sarah Kidder years
      we
      > see coaches that have fancy borders around their numbers and other
      > examples of well cared for passenger equipment. One of the aspects I
      > have long admired about the NCNG is the uniqueness to the equipment
      > and just how home brewed elements of the operation were. A bit of
      > humor I would share with people is that NCNG 5 doesn't really exist,
      > its a collection of parts from other NCNG locomotives since #2, 3,
      7,
      > 8 and the Glenbrook have all contributed to parts to her over the
      > years, the NCNG at times did everything they could to keep their
      > locomotives in service. Johnny Nolan and the rest of the shops are
      > be commended for the fantastic work over the years. With that being
      > said, as you build models of equipment watch out for oddities,
      > although before the depression this is less noticeable.
      >
      > If you don't mind my asking, what scale are you modeling?
      >
      > -=Andrew=-
      >
      > On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 7:56 PM, Dennis Ivison
      > <dennisivison@...> wrote:
      > > Andrew,
      > >
      > > Thanks once again for your help. What a color range. I'd love to
      have
      > > a copy of that video, I've seen it mentioned here several times.
      Was
      > > it ever done on DVD? I've heard that the museum may have copies
      and
      > > plan on checking it out on my next trip up from So Cal.
      > >
      > > Dennis
      > >
      > > --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Brandon" <andrew.brandon@>
      > > wrote:
      > >

      > >> Dennis,
      > >>
      > >> I have not dug up any real solid evidence on the colors of the
      > > coaches
      > >> myself except for the following.
      > >> The original coaches appear to have possibly been some shade of
      > > yellow
      > >> with contrasting trim (a brown is likely).
      > >> After about the turn of the century I am leaning towards a green,
      > >> however I suspect the green would be similar to what the SP was
      > >> painting their cars at the time. In later years the passenger
      > >> equipment that came from the SP would have been Tuscan as shown
      in
      > > the
      > >> color NCNG video footage if you are lucky enough to have it.
      Sadly

      Message 2 of 7 , May 9, 2008
        Dennis,

        You do have plenty of options when it comes to NCNG in On3/30. A prime
        example is the Bachmann flatcars, they are quite close in size to NCNG
        flats. Originally these cars would have been Carter Bros 24' flats, as
        the NCNG wore them out they were rebuilt to be 25' long, if you
        measure, your Bachmann flats are the right length and "close enough"
        for some quick easy flats. To top that off, the Fruit Cars if I
        remember correctly are just built on top of flats themselves. Some
        hunting on ebay will find you plastic kits for San Francisco Cable
        Cars in O which can be kitbashed into fairly reasonable Calhoun cars.
        As for locomotives, if you are crafty you can turn a Bachmann 2-6-0
        into a reasonable model of #2, I would replace the tender however with
        the tender from the new 4-4-0, the reason being that the 4-4-0 tender
        appears to be a stock Baldwin tender the same as would be used on #1,
        2, 3 and 5 in later years. Of course you have the Boxcars from
        Foothill Model Works as well as the trucks and hardware you'd need for
        your Bachmann flats.

        So you see, if you get creative there are a lot of pieces of NCNG
        equipment that can be built quickly and on the cheap.