Re: Passenger Car Questions...

  • Dennis Ivison
    Message 1 of 7 , May 8, 2008
      Andrew,

      Thanks once again for your help. What a color range. I'd love to have
      a copy of that video, I've seen it mentioned here several times. Was
      it ever done on DVD? I've heard that the museum may have copies and
      plan on checking it out on my next trip up from So Cal.

      Dennis

      --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Brandon" <andrew.brandon@...>

      Message 2 of 7 , May 8, 2008
        Dennis,

        I thought I heard rumblings of a possible DVD version, but I haven't
        heard anything concrete.
        Here are some stills from the video however.
        http://community-2.webtv.net/@HH!02!0D!14DE915BE8D5/NCNG/NEVADACOUNTYNARROW/page3.html
        You can see one of the SP cars in the still of Chicago Park, but it is
        sadly in the shade so you can't get a good feel for the color.
        There is a fantastic shot of boxcar on that page in color though.

        NCNG colors can be tough to track down simply because of a few
        factors, the lack of existing paperwork doesn't help so we have to go
        on what Johnny Nolan related to folks over the year and others
        memories or what little documentation we have. On top of this, the
        NCNG was a first class operation for many years before finally giving
        up the "Ghost Of John Kidder" and starting to lose the flair in their
        paint.
        If you take a look at lettering around the turn of the century on
        freight equipment you'll notice that the lettering has an awful lot of
        curls and extravagance to them, even during the Sarah Kidder years we
        see coaches that have fancy borders around their numbers and other
        examples of well cared for passenger equipment. One of the aspects I
        have long admired about the NCNG is the uniqueness to the equipment
        and just how home brewed elements of the operation were. A bit of
        humor I would share with people is that NCNG 5 doesn't really exist,
        its a collection of parts from other NCNG locomotives since #2, 3, 7,
        8 and the Glenbrook have all contributed to parts to her over the
        years, the NCNG at times did everything they could to keep their
        locomotives in service. Johnny Nolan and the rest of the shops are to
        be commended for the fantastic work over the years. With that being
        said, as you build models of equipment watch out for oddities,
        although before the depression this is less noticeable.

        If you don't mind my asking, what scale are you modeling?

        -=Andrew=-

        On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 7:56 PM, Dennis Ivison
        <dennisivison@...> wrote:
        > Andrew,
        >
        > Thanks once again for your help. What a color range. I'd love to have
        > a copy of that video, I've seen it mentioned here several times. Was
        > it ever done on DVD? I've heard that the museum may have copies and
        > plan on checking it out on my next trip up from So Cal.
        >
        > Dennis
        >
        > --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Brandon" <andrew.brandon@...>
        > wrote:
        >

        >> Dennis,
        >>
        >> I have not dug up any real solid evidence on the colors of the
        > coaches
        >> myself except for the following.
        >> The original coaches appear to have possibly been some shade of
        > yellow
        >> with contrasting trim (a brown is likely).
        >> After about the turn of the century I am leaning towards a green,
        >> however I suspect the green would be similar to what the SP was
        >> painting their cars at the time. In later years the passenger
        >> equipment that came from the SP would have been Tuscan as shown in
        > the
        >> color NCNG video footage if you are lucky enough to have it. Sadly
        > as
        >> I have put my book on hold for the time being I hadn't gotten around
        >> to digging up info on the passenger cars, being at work I don't have
        >> access to my research materials but I will see if I can find
        > anything
        >> else later this evening.
        >>
        >> Hopefully someone has better insight than I do.
        >>
        >> -Andrew-

      • Dennis Ivison
        Message 3 of 7 , May 9, 2008
          Andrew,

          My first thought after I decided to move out of N-Scale was Sn3, but
          I found this scale to be very expensive, in kit form, and difficult
          to find. Then I looked into On3, also expensive and hard to find,
          then a friend showed me On30. After some thought I decided that I
          could live with a 0.10 difference in track scale in a trade off for
          relatively inexpensive equipment and ready availability (there are 3
          LHS here that stock On30).

          I have good drawings of all of the NG's rolling stock except for the
          fruit cars; and the Bachmann stuff matches up close enough for me to
          easily modify them to match NG cars. I'll use the Bachmann flats with
          scratch built car bodies for the fruit cars once I get some drawings
          of them.

          The passenger cars and combines will take a lot more work. The
          Bachmann cars are the right length but have too few windows, so I'll
          have to make new car sides for them.

          The locomotives are a different story, Bachmann has nothing close.
          But, I wasn't able to find anything in the other scales either that
          was a match for the NG. I'm sure if something ever did come available
          in those scales the price would be out of my range. If I ever get the
          ambition to bash the Bachmann's into something close to an NG loco,
          cutting a $200 locomotive is a lot less daunting than an $800 one!

          Message 4 of 7 , May 9, 2008
            Dennis,

            You do have plenty of options when it comes to NCNG in On3/30. A prime
            example is the Bachmann flatcars, they are quite close in size to NCNG
            flats. Originally these cars would have been Carter Bros 24' flats, as
            the NCNG wore them out they were rebuilt to be 25' long, if you
            measure, your Bachmann flats are the right length and "close enough"
            for some quick easy flats. To top that off, the Fruit Cars if I
            remember correctly are just built on top of flats themselves. Some
            hunting on ebay will find you plastic kits for San Francisco Cable
            Cars in O which can be kitbashed into fairly reasonable Calhoun cars.
            As for locomotives, if you are crafty you can turn a Bachmann 2-6-0
            into a reasonable model of #2, I would replace the tender however with
            the tender from the new 4-4-0, the reason being that the 4-4-0 tender
            appears to be a stock Baldwin tender the same as would be used on #1,
            2, 3 and 5 in later years. Of course you have the Boxcars from
            Foothill Model Works as well as the trucks and hardware you'd need for
            your Bachmann flats.

            So you see, if you get creative there are a lot of pieces of NCNG
            equipment that can be built quickly and on the cheap.