Re: New Member

  • Greg Maxwell
    Message 1 of 14 , May 8, 2008
      Tony,

      I guess I was misstaken as to where my drawing came from. I dug out
      the drawing of #8 and it was done by Al for PSC.

      Regards,
      Greg

      --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Maxwell" <EANDPNG@...> wrote:

      > Tony,
      > The only drawing I know of for the NCNG's #8 was done by Al
      Armitage.
      > It seems to me that it was published in the model railroad press at
      > some point and I have a xerox of this drawing someplace. I will see
      > if I can locate it and see where and when it was published.
      > Best regards,
      > Greg Maxwell
      > West Linn, OR
      >
      > --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "trw1089" <trweber@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Thanks Andrew
      > >
      > > I checked the previous messages too and it seems like everyone
      wants
      > > to know about the whaleback tenders, so apologies for asking
      > something
      > > that appears to have been asked several times previously.
      > >
      > > I got hold of the Narrow Gauge Annual last year and the NCNG
      article
      > > is a great reference, but unfortunately there aren't any drawings
      or
      > > perhaps you were referring to the year before which I don't
      have.
      > I'd
      > > heard of Herman's drawings also, but haven't managed to secure
      one
      > as
      > > yet. I'll have to check the NG &SL issue you were referring to
      as I
      > > haven't seen that one, but have a copy of the grant C16 drawing
      from
      > > 2005. Oh well, I'll keep digging.
      > >
      > > Cheers
      > > Tony
      > >
      > > --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Brandon" <andrew.brandon@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Tony,
      > > >
      > > > Herman Darr used to do a drawing of the tender which I consider
      > to be
      > > > the "best" drawing to date.
      > > > I believe this drawing was reprinted in last years Narrow Gauge
      > Annual?
      > > > You might be able to pick up a back issue from them, their
      website
      > > > says to call Carstens Publishing Company @ 888-526-5365.
      > > > As far as I know Herman does not offer this drawing for sale
      > anymore.
      > > > If you are unable to get a back issue from them or on ebay
      there
      > was a
      > > > drawing done by Ed Gebhart in the March/April 1997 Narrow Gauge
      &
      > > > Short Line Gazette, of NCNG #7 which has a drawing of the
      tender,
      > > > although I would make sure you check with photographs for
      details.

      > > > As for the rest of #8, I am not sure if a drawing was done
      since
      > she
      > > > was just a D&RGW C-16 class with a new cab and appliances, I
      > cannot
      > > > remember if a drawing was included in the Annual or not, I will
      > check
      > > > when I get home.
      > > >
      > > > -Andrew-

    • trw1089
      Message 2 of 14 , May 8, 2008
        Thanks for letting me know Greg. I presume that drawing isn't in the
        public domain, but would you know how I could go about obtaining a
        copy? Feel free to contact me off list if that makes it easier.

        Cheers
        Tony

        Message 3 of 14 , May 8, 2008
          Tony,

          I was a bit absent minded last night and forgot to post a message
          about the annual.
          What you are looking for is the 2008 Modeler's Annual, they might
          still have copies if you call that number I posted yesterday.
          However, the Modeler's Annuals if you've never purchased one are pricy
          but well worth it, the 2008 edition is loaded with NCNG plans and
          photos although I did note a couple blatantly wrong captions.

          -=Andrew=-
        • flobarchetti
          Message 4 of 14 , May 12, 2008
            Tony,

            when you are looking for information about NCNG and particular the
            whaleback tender of No. 8, "The 2007 Narrow Gauge Annual", "The 2007
            Modelers Annual" and "The 2008 Narrow Gauge Annual" published by
            Westlake are a must have. The 2007 Modelers Annual features the
            drawing of the whaleback tender made by Al Armitage besides a couple
            of photos of No.8 and a lot of drawings of other rolling stock. The
            other Annuals are very good source for photos of the NCNG in general.
            (Some of them never published before)

            Not to mention G. Best's "Nevada County Narrow Gauge" book that
            provides a load of photos and history as well.

            Hope my informations are helpful

            Florian

            Almost forgot - an other post mentions a drawing of No.7 made by Ed
            Gebhardt. Although the whaleback tender was attached to No.7 for a
            while, this drawing shows the tender that came from No.6 and is quite
            unique in design.

            --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "trw1089" <trweber@...> wrote:

            > Hi all
            >
            > I'm a new member to the Yahoo group and have a growing interest in the
            > NCNG and am currently building/kitbashing a G gauge model of NCNG
            > No.8. I've managed to find quite a few good photos of the old girl,
            > but am really after some good drawings if anyone knows of them,
            > especially of the tender.
            >
            > If anyone knows of a magazine or web link or even has an electronic
            > version they would be willing to share, feel free to contact me.
            >
            > Cheers
            > Tony

          • Mike
            Message 5 of 14 , May 26, 2008
              NCNG 8 tender

              Would you like me to post the drawing of her tender here in the forum?
            • trw1089
              Message 6 of 14 , May 27, 2008
                --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <dasredbaron@...> wrote:

                > NCNG 8 tender
                >
                > Would you like me to post the drawing of her tender here in the forum?

                Hi Mike

                Thanks for the offer. I've already been sent a copy by another very
                kind member, and it just so happens that today I picked up the very
                last copy of the Modeller's Annual with No.8's tender drawing, plus
                lots of excellent pics and other wonderful NCNG drawings. It was only
                put back on the shelf yesterday at a railway bookshop in the city I
                was visiting as someone had asked for it to be put aside but didn't
                come to pick it. What a shame!!

                I'm sure others would be glad to see a copy of the drawing though if
                you did want to post it as I noticed a few people had asked the
                question before I had (note to self, search posts before posting in
                future!).

                Cheers
                Tony
              • LeeRainey@aol.com
                Message 7 of 14 , May 27, 2008
                  In a message dated 5/27/2008 12:39:02 AM Eastern Standard Time, dasredbaron@... writes:

                  NCNG 8 tender

                  Would you like me to post the drawing of her tender here in the forum?

                  yes

                  Lee Rainey

                • flobarchetti
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 27, 2008
                    Hi all!

                    Talking about NCNG 8 tender, does anybody have an idea what was used
                    for the decking?

                    For the tender frame, I guess (please correct me when I am wrong)
                    they used U-shaped steel bars.

                    Florian