Re: New Member

  • Greg Maxwell
    Message 1 of 14 , May 8 10:37 AM
      Tony,
      The only drawing I know of for the NCNG's #8 was done by Al Armitage.
      It seems to me that it was published in the model railroad press at
      some point and I have a xerox of this drawing someplace. I will see
      if I can locate it and see where and when it was published.
      Best regards,
      Greg Maxwell
      West Linn, OR

      --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "trw1089" <trweber@...> wrote:

      > Thanks Andrew
      >
      > I checked the previous messages too and it seems like everyone wants
      > to know about the whaleback tenders, so apologies for asking
      something
      > that appears to have been asked several times previously.
      >
      > I got hold of the Narrow Gauge Annual last year and the NCNG article
      > is a great reference, but unfortunately there aren't any drawings or
      > perhaps you were referring to the year before which I don't have.
      I'd
      > heard of Herman's drawings also, but haven't managed to secure one
      as
      > yet. I'll have to check the NG &SL issue you were referring to as I
      > haven't seen that one, but have a copy of the grant C16 drawing from
      > 2005. Oh well, I'll keep digging.
      >
      > Cheers
      > Tony
      >
      > --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Brandon" <andrew.brandon@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Tony,
      > >
      > > Herman Darr used to do a drawing of the tender which I consider
      to be
      > > the "best" drawing to date.
      > > I believe this drawing was reprinted in last years Narrow Gauge
      Annual?
      > > You might be able to pick up a back issue from them, their website
      > > says to call Carstens Publishing Company @ 888-526-5365.
      > > As far as I know Herman does not offer this drawing for sale
      anymore.
      > > If you are unable to get a back issue from them or on ebay there
      was a
      > > drawing done by Ed Gebhart in the March/April 1997 Narrow Gauge &
      > > Short Line Gazette, of NCNG #7 which has a drawing of the tender,
      > > although I would make sure you check with photographs for details.
      > >
      > > As for the rest of #8, I am not sure if a drawing was done since
      she
      > > was just a D&RGW C-16 class with a new cab and appliances, I
      cannot
      > > remember if a drawing was included in the Annual or not, I will
      check
      > > when I get home.
      > >
      > > -Andrew-

    • Greg Maxwell
      Message 2 of 14 , May 8 11:47 AM
        Tony,

        I guess I was misstaken as to where my drawing came from. I dug out
        the drawing of #8 and it was done by Al for PSC.

        Regards,
        Greg

        --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Maxwell" <EANDPNG@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > > says to call Carstens Publishing Company @ 888-526-5365.
        > > > As far as I know Herman does not offer this drawing for sale
        > anymore.
        > > > If you are unable to get a back issue from them or on ebay
        there
        > was a
        > > > drawing done by Ed Gebhart in the March/April 1997 Narrow Gauge
        &
        > > > Short Line Gazette, of NCNG #7 which has a drawing of the
        tender,
        > > > although I would make sure you check with photographs for
        details.

        > > > As for the rest of #8, I am not sure if a drawing was done
        since
        > she
        > > > was just a D&RGW C-16 class with a new cab and appliances, I
        > cannot
        > > > remember if a drawing was included in the Annual or not, I will

      • trw1089
        Message 3 of 14 , May 8 1:57 PM
          Thanks for letting me know Greg. I presume that drawing isn't in the
          public domain, but would you know how I could go about obtaining a
          copy? Feel free to contact me off list if that makes it easier.

          Cheers
          Tony

          Message 4 of 14 , May 8 5:04 PM
            Tony,

            I was a bit absent minded last night and forgot to post a message
            about the annual.
            What you are looking for is the 2008 Modeler's Annual, they might
            still have copies if you call that number I posted yesterday.
            However, the Modeler's Annuals if you've never purchased one are pricy
            but well worth it, the 2008 edition is loaded with NCNG plans and
            photos although I did note a couple blatantly wrong captions.

            -=Andrew=-
          • flobarchetti
            Message 5 of 14 , May 12 12:12 PM
              Tony,

              when you are looking for information about NCNG and particular the
              whaleback tender of No. 8, "The 2007 Narrow Gauge Annual", "The 2007
              Modelers Annual" and "The 2008 Narrow Gauge Annual" published by
              Westlake are a must have. The 2007 Modelers Annual features the
              drawing of the whaleback tender made by Al Armitage besides a couple
              of photos of No.8 and a lot of drawings of other rolling stock. The
              other Annuals are very good source for photos of the NCNG in general.
              (Some of them never published before)

              Not to mention G. Best's "Nevada County Narrow Gauge" book that
              provides a load of photos and history as well.

              Hope my informations are helpful

              Florian

              Almost forgot - an other post mentions a drawing of No.7 made by Ed
              Gebhardt. Although the whaleback tender was attached to No.7 for a
              while, this drawing shows the tender that came from No.6 and is quite
              unique in design.

              --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "trw1089" <trweber@...> wrote:

              > Hi all
              >
              > I'm a new member to the Yahoo group and have a growing interest in the
              > NCNG and am currently building/kitbashing a G gauge model of NCNG
              > No.8. I've managed to find quite a few good photos of the old girl,
              > but am really after some good drawings if anyone knows of them,
              > especially of the tender.
              >
              > If anyone knows of a magazine or web link or even has an electronic
              > version they would be willing to share, feel free to contact me.
              >
              > Cheers
              > Tony

            • Mike
              Message 6 of 14 , May 26 10:38 PM
                NCNG 8 tender

                Would you like me to post the drawing of her tender here in the forum?
              • trw1089
                Message 7 of 14 , May 27 5:58 AM
                  --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <dasredbaron@...> wrote:

                  > NCNG 8 tender
                  >
                  > Would you like me to post the drawing of her tender here in the forum?

                  Hi Mike

                  Thanks for the offer. I've already been sent a copy by another very
                  kind member, and it just so happens that today I picked up the very
                  last copy of the Modeller's Annual with No.8's tender drawing, plus
                  lots of excellent pics and other wonderful NCNG drawings. It was only
                  put back on the shelf yesterday at a railway bookshop in the city I
                  was visiting as someone had asked for it to be put aside but didn't
                  come to pick it. What a shame!!

                  I'm sure others would be glad to see a copy of the drawing though if
                  you did want to post it as I noticed a few people had asked the
                  question before I had (note to self, search posts before posting in
                  future!).

                  Cheers
                  Tony
                • LeeRainey@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 27 5:17 PM
                    In a message dated 5/27/2008 12:39:02 AM Eastern Standard Time, dasredbaron@... writes:

                    NCNG 8 tender

                    Would you like me to post the drawing of her tender here in the forum?

                    yes

                    Lee Rainey

                  • flobarchetti
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 27 11:22 PM
                      Hi all!

                      Talking about NCNG 8 tender, does anybody have an idea what was used
                      for the decking?

                      For the tender frame, I guess (please correct me when I am wrong)
                      they used U-shaped steel bars.

                      Florian