Re: New Member

    Message 1 of 14 , May 7, 2008
      Tony,

      Herman Darr used to do a drawing of the tender which I consider to be
      the "best" drawing to date.
      I believe this drawing was reprinted in last years Narrow Gauge Annual?
      You might be able to pick up a back issue from them, their website
      says to call Carstens Publishing Company @ 888-526-5365.
      As far as I know Herman does not offer this drawing for sale anymore.
      If you are unable to get a back issue from them or on ebay there was a
      drawing done by Ed Gebhart in the March/April 1997 Narrow Gauge &
      Short Line Gazette, of NCNG #7 which has a drawing of the tender,
      although I would make sure you check with photographs for details.

      As for the rest of #8, I am not sure if a drawing was done since she
      was just a D&RGW C-16 class with a new cab and appliances, I cannot
      remember if a drawing was included in the Annual or not, I will check
      when I get home.

      -Andrew-

      On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 3:57 PM, trw1089 <trweber@...> wrote:

      > Hi all
      >
      > I'm a new member to the Yahoo group and have a growing interest in the
      > NCNG and am currently building/kitbashing a G gauge model of NCNG
      > No.8. I've managed to find quite a few good photos of the old girl,
      > but am really after some good drawings if anyone knows of them,
      > especially of the tender.
      >
      > If anyone knows of a magazine or web link or even has an electronic
      > version they would be willing to share, feel free to contact me.
      >
      > Cheers
      > Tony

    • trw1089
      Message 2 of 14 , May 7, 2008
        Thanks Andrew

        I checked the previous messages too and it seems like everyone wants
        to know about the whaleback tenders, so apologies for asking something
        that appears to have been asked several times previously.

        I got hold of the Narrow Gauge Annual last year and the NCNG article
        is a great reference, but unfortunately there aren't any drawings or
        perhaps you were referring to the year before which I don't have. I'd
        heard of Herman's drawings also, but haven't managed to secure one as
        yet. I'll have to check the NG &SL issue you were referring to as I
        haven't seen that one, but have a copy of the grant C16 drawing from
        2005. Oh well, I'll keep digging.

        Cheers
        Tony

        --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Brandon" <andrew.brandon@...>
        wrote:

        > Tony,
        >
        > Herman Darr used to do a drawing of the tender which I consider to be
        > the "best" drawing to date.
        > I believe this drawing was reprinted in last years Narrow Gauge Annual?
        > You might be able to pick up a back issue from them, their website
        > says to call Carstens Publishing Company @ 888-526-5365.
        > As far as I know Herman does not offer this drawing for sale anymore.
        > If you are unable to get a back issue from them or on ebay there was a
        > drawing done by Ed Gebhart in the March/April 1997 Narrow Gauge &
        > Short Line Gazette, of NCNG #7 which has a drawing of the tender,
        > although I would make sure you check with photographs for details.
        >
        > As for the rest of #8, I am not sure if a drawing was done since she
        > was just a D&RGW C-16 class with a new cab and appliances, I cannot
        > remember if a drawing was included in the Annual or not, I will check
        > when I get home.
        >
        > -Andrew-

      • Greg Maxwell
        Message 3 of 14 , May 8, 2008
          Tony,
          The only drawing I know of for the NCNG's #8 was done by Al Armitage.
          It seems to me that it was published in the model railroad press at
          some point and I have a xerox of this drawing someplace. I will see
          if I can locate it and see where and when it was published.
          Best regards,
          Greg Maxwell
          West Linn, OR

          --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "trw1089" <trweber@...> wrote:

          > Thanks Andrew
          >
          > I checked the previous messages too and it seems like everyone wants
          > to know about the whaleback tenders, so apologies for asking
          something
          > that appears to have been asked several times previously.
          >
          > I got hold of the Narrow Gauge Annual last year and the NCNG article
          > is a great reference, but unfortunately there aren't any drawings or
          > perhaps you were referring to the year before which I don't have.
          I'd
          > heard of Herman's drawings also, but haven't managed to secure one
          as
          > yet. I'll have to check the NG &SL issue you were referring to as I
          > haven't seen that one, but have a copy of the grant C16 drawing from
          > 2005. Oh well, I'll keep digging.
          >
          > Cheers
          > Tony
          >
          > --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Brandon" <andrew.brandon@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Tony,
          > >
          > > Herman Darr used to do a drawing of the tender which I consider
          to be
          > > the "best" drawing to date.
          > > I believe this drawing was reprinted in last years Narrow Gauge
          Annual?
          > > You might be able to pick up a back issue from them, their website
          > > says to call Carstens Publishing Company @ 888-526-5365.
          > > As far as I know Herman does not offer this drawing for sale
          anymore.
          > > If you are unable to get a back issue from them or on ebay there
          was a
          > > drawing done by Ed Gebhart in the March/April 1997 Narrow Gauge &
          > > Short Line Gazette, of NCNG #7 which has a drawing of the tender,
          > > although I would make sure you check with photographs for details.
          > >
          > > As for the rest of #8, I am not sure if a drawing was done since
          she
          > > was just a D&RGW C-16 class with a new cab and appliances, I
          cannot
          > > remember if a drawing was included in the Annual or not, I will
          check
          > > when I get home.
          > >
          > > -Andrew-

        • Greg Maxwell
          Message 4 of 14 , May 8, 2008
            Tony,

            I guess I was misstaken as to where my drawing came from. I dug out
            the drawing of #8 and it was done by Al for PSC.

            Regards,
            Greg

            --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Maxwell" <EANDPNG@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > > says to call Carstens Publishing Company @ 888-526-5365.
            > > > As far as I know Herman does not offer this drawing for sale
            > anymore.
            > > > If you are unable to get a back issue from them or on ebay
            there
            > was a
            > > > drawing done by Ed Gebhart in the March/April 1997 Narrow Gauge
            &
            > > > Short Line Gazette, of NCNG #7 which has a drawing of the
            tender,
            > > > although I would make sure you check with photographs for
            details.

            > > > As for the rest of #8, I am not sure if a drawing was done
            since
            > she
            > > > was just a D&RGW C-16 class with a new cab and appliances, I
            > cannot
            > > > remember if a drawing was included in the Annual or not, I will

          • trw1089
            Message 5 of 14 , May 8, 2008
              Thanks for letting me know Greg. I presume that drawing isn't in the
              public domain, but would you know how I could go about obtaining a
              copy? Feel free to contact me off list if that makes it easier.

              Cheers
              Tony

              Message 6 of 14 , May 8, 2008
                Tony,

                I was a bit absent minded last night and forgot to post a message
                about the annual.
                What you are looking for is the 2008 Modeler's Annual, they might
                still have copies if you call that number I posted yesterday.
                However, the Modeler's Annuals if you've never purchased one are pricy
                but well worth it, the 2008 edition is loaded with NCNG plans and
                photos although I did note a couple blatantly wrong captions.

                -=Andrew=-
              • flobarchetti
                Message 7 of 14 , May 12, 2008
                  Tony,

                  when you are looking for information about NCNG and particular the
                  whaleback tender of No. 8, "The 2007 Narrow Gauge Annual", "The 2007
                  Modelers Annual" and "The 2008 Narrow Gauge Annual" published by
                  Westlake are a must have. The 2007 Modelers Annual features the
                  drawing of the whaleback tender made by Al Armitage besides a couple
                  of photos of No.8 and a lot of drawings of other rolling stock. The
                  other Annuals are very good source for photos of the NCNG in general.
                  (Some of them never published before)

                  Not to mention G. Best's "Nevada County Narrow Gauge" book that
                  provides a load of photos and history as well.

                  Hope my informations are helpful

                  Florian

                  Almost forgot - an other post mentions a drawing of No.7 made by Ed
                  Gebhardt. Although the whaleback tender was attached to No.7 for a
                  while, this drawing shows the tender that came from No.6 and is quite
                  unique in design.

                  --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "trw1089" <trweber@...> wrote:

                  > Hi all
                  >
                  > I'm a new member to the Yahoo group and have a growing interest in the
                  > NCNG and am currently building/kitbashing a G gauge model of NCNG
                  > No.8. I've managed to find quite a few good photos of the old girl,
                  > but am really after some good drawings if anyone knows of them,
                  > especially of the tender.
                  >
                  > If anyone knows of a magazine or web link or even has an electronic
                  > version they would be willing to share, feel free to contact me.
                  >
                  > Cheers
                  > Tony

                • Mike
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 26, 2008
                    NCNG 8 tender

                    Would you like me to post the drawing of her tender here in the forum?
                  • trw1089
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 27, 2008
                      --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <dasredbaron@...> wrote:

                      > NCNG 8 tender
                      >
                      > Would you like me to post the drawing of her tender here in the forum?

                      Hi Mike

                      Thanks for the offer. I've already been sent a copy by another very
                      kind member, and it just so happens that today I picked up the very
                      last copy of the Modeller's Annual with No.8's tender drawing, plus
                      lots of excellent pics and other wonderful NCNG drawings. It was only
                      put back on the shelf yesterday at a railway bookshop in the city I
                      was visiting as someone had asked for it to be put aside but didn't
                      come to pick it. What a shame!!

                      I'm sure others would be glad to see a copy of the drawing though if
                      you did want to post it as I noticed a few people had asked the
                      question before I had (note to self, search posts before posting in
                      future!).

                      Cheers
                      Tony
                    • LeeRainey@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 27, 2008
                        In a message dated 5/27/2008 12:39:02 AM Eastern Standard Time, dasredbaron@... writes:

                        NCNG 8 tender

                        Would you like me to post the drawing of her tender here in the forum?

                        yes

                        Lee Rainey

                      • flobarchetti
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 27, 2008
                          Hi all!

                          Talking about NCNG 8 tender, does anybody have an idea what was used
                          for the decking?

                          For the tender frame, I guess (please correct me when I am wrong)
                          they used U-shaped steel bars.

                          Florian