Re: n.c.n.g. Photos

  • Dennis Burke
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 26, 2007
      --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Miller" <nvngrr@...> wrote:

      > Are the photos the same as in Gerald Best's book or are there
      several
      > new ones? I didn't buy the last annual because there were no new
      > photos or info.
      >
      > Kevin Miller

      Kevin, I did a quik review of Browns and Best's books as well as
      other files i have and there are many photos in the new annual that i
      could not locate in these books. Some are of flatcars with loads,
      also tankcars, as well as passenger equipment. I must concur with
      Andrew that the shot of locomotive #8 that Mal stated says the
      handwriting on the back says Mina is not Mina. To the rear of the
      loco is the a portion of the S.P. engine facility in Colax, which is
      very close in appearance to the facility at Mina.Maybe this caused
      the mis-label. The dead give-a-way is the cliff over the pilot of the
      loco. There are no such cliffs in the Mina yard. Just other
      structures and sage with a few trees.
      Also, correct me if I am wrong, if there would have been a S.P to
      N.C.N.G. 2-8-0 at Mina, as the discussed photo, would this not have
      been N.C.N.G.#9 (the 2nd #1 on the S.P.N.G.), the other 2-8-0, which
      arrived on the N.C.N.G. from the S.P. in 1933. I dont think the #8
      was on the S.P.N.G. The only other 2-8-0 on S.P. was # 13 which was
      scrapped in 1927. I am new on the N.C.N.G. so any additional input
      would be great.

      Anyway, I am personally greatful to Mal for sharing his collection
      with us mislabeled or not. Look what its got us doing, research, just
      another part of being a rail-buff. I love it!!

      Dennis
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 27, 2007
        Dennis,

        If you look there is a photo of #9 Mal has a caption stating as being
        in Grass Valley when it is in fact Colfax as well, the white fence on
        the top of the hill in the background and larger water pipe give it
        away. I have seen many a photo of Colfax captioned completely wrong
        there is at least one photograph in the Searls Library in Nevada City,
        CA which was labeled as Grass Valley when it was Colfax and during the
        final rebuilding of the yard none the less. There was another photo
        showing Hobart Estates #7 hauling a long train over an impressive
        trestle which is captioned "NCNG 7". Worst of all, these were recently
        captioned by volunteers in the past few years. Silly captions aside,
        Mal did a great job although I am a bit distraught that he put out a
        number of shots in his articles that I have been using for my
        clandestine NCNG pictorial.

        -=Andrew=-