Re: Re: n.c.n.g. Photos

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 24, 2007
      Kevin,

      There are a number of shots that were not in Best's or Brown's books
      however they have shown up in other articles by Farrell. Included in
      the "new" photos is the great shot of the trusses for Nevada Union
      high school being moved along the NCNG and some great early shots of
      #5. However several of the captions are incorrect that I noticed at
      quick glance so I would be leery of what the captions say if it
      doesn't sound logical, one photo that sticks out in my mind as "way
      wrong" is the shot of #8 in Colfax which is captioned as being in
      "Mina, NV.". Beyond these minor issues there are a great set of Herman
      Darr plans included in the issue and it would be a genuine boon to the
      NCNG modeller.

      -Andrew Brandon

      On Dec 24, 2007 10:55 AM, Kevin Miller <nvngrr@...> wrote:

      > Are the photos the same as in Gerald Best's book or are there several
      > new ones? I didn't buy the last annual because there were no new
      > photos or info.
      >
      > Kevin Miller

    • Kevin Miller
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 25, 2007
        Andrew,

        Thank you. I guess I will purchase this issue then. I am always on
        the lookout for more photos of the NCNGRR. I purchased all the
        drawings from Herman a long time ago.

        Kevin Miller
      • Dennis Burke
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 26, 2007
          --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Miller" <nvngrr@...> wrote:

          > Are the photos the same as in Gerald Best's book or are there
          several
          > new ones? I didn't buy the last annual because there were no new
          > photos or info.
          >
          > Kevin Miller

          Kevin, I did a quik review of Browns and Best's books as well as
          other files i have and there are many photos in the new annual that i
          could not locate in these books. Some are of flatcars with loads,
          also tankcars, as well as passenger equipment. I must concur with
          Andrew that the shot of locomotive #8 that Mal stated says the
          handwriting on the back says Mina is not Mina. To the rear of the
          loco is the a portion of the S.P. engine facility in Colax, which is
          very close in appearance to the facility at Mina.Maybe this caused
          the mis-label. The dead give-a-way is the cliff over the pilot of the
          loco. There are no such cliffs in the Mina yard. Just other
          structures and sage with a few trees.
          Also, correct me if I am wrong, if there would have been a S.P to
          N.C.N.G. 2-8-0 at Mina, as the discussed photo, would this not have
          been N.C.N.G.#9 (the 2nd #1 on the S.P.N.G.), the other 2-8-0, which
          arrived on the N.C.N.G. from the S.P. in 1933. I dont think the #8
          was on the S.P.N.G. The only other 2-8-0 on S.P. was # 13 which was
          scrapped in 1927. I am new on the N.C.N.G. so any additional input
          would be great.

          Anyway, I am personally greatful to Mal for sharing his collection
          with us mislabeled or not. Look what its got us doing, research, just
          another part of being a rail-buff. I love it!!

          Dennis
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 27, 2007
            Dennis,

            If you look there is a photo of #9 Mal has a caption stating as being
            in Grass Valley when it is in fact Colfax as well, the white fence on
            the top of the hill in the background and larger water pipe give it
            away. I have seen many a photo of Colfax captioned completely wrong
            there is at least one photograph in the Searls Library in Nevada City,
            CA which was labeled as Grass Valley when it was Colfax and during the
            final rebuilding of the yard none the less. There was another photo
            showing Hobart Estates #7 hauling a long train over an impressive
            trestle which is captioned "NCNG 7". Worst of all, these were recently
            captioned by volunteers in the past few years. Silly captions aside,
            Mal did a great job although I am a bit distraught that he put out a
            number of shots in his articles that I have been using for my
            clandestine NCNG pictorial.

            -=Andrew=-