n.c.n.g. Photos

  • Dennis Burke
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 24, 2007
      In the Winter 2008 issue of The Modelers Annual which I have just
      recieved there are over one hundred photos of N.C.N.G. locomotives
      and rolling stock from the collection of Mallory Hope Ferrall. This is
      the second issue in which he has written in and provided photos of the
      N.C.N.G. As well as the photos there are also rosters and some of the
      fine plan drawings by Herman Darr.
      The issue was $17.99 and is available from the publishers of
      FINESCALE RAILROADER.
      There is also info on modeling, new products, contests, etc.

      There are some great shots of N.C.N.G. flatcars with various loads
      as well as passenger equipment. Well worth the price of the magazine.

      Dennis
    • Kevin Miller
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 24, 2007
        Are the photos the same as in Gerald Best's book or are there several
        new ones? I didn't buy the last annual because there were no new
        photos or info.

        Kevin Miller
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 24, 2007
          Kevin,

          There are a number of shots that were not in Best's or Brown's books
          however they have shown up in other articles by Farrell. Included in
          the "new" photos is the great shot of the trusses for Nevada Union
          high school being moved along the NCNG and some great early shots of
          #5. However several of the captions are incorrect that I noticed at
          quick glance so I would be leery of what the captions say if it
          doesn't sound logical, one photo that sticks out in my mind as "way
          wrong" is the shot of #8 in Colfax which is captioned as being in
          "Mina, NV.". Beyond these minor issues there are a great set of Herman
          Darr plans included in the issue and it would be a genuine boon to the
          NCNG modeller.

          -Andrew Brandon

          On Dec 24, 2007 10:55 AM, Kevin Miller <nvngrr@...> wrote:

          > Are the photos the same as in Gerald Best's book or are there several
          > new ones? I didn't buy the last annual because there were no new
          > photos or info.
          >
          > Kevin Miller

        • Kevin Miller
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 25, 2007
            Andrew,

            Thank you. I guess I will purchase this issue then. I am always on
            the lookout for more photos of the NCNGRR. I purchased all the
            drawings from Herman a long time ago.

            Kevin Miller
          • Dennis Burke
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 26, 2007
              --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Miller" <nvngrr@...> wrote:

              > Are the photos the same as in Gerald Best's book or are there
              several
              > new ones? I didn't buy the last annual because there were no new
              > photos or info.
              >
              > Kevin Miller

              Kevin, I did a quik review of Browns and Best's books as well as
              other files i have and there are many photos in the new annual that i
              could not locate in these books. Some are of flatcars with loads,
              also tankcars, as well as passenger equipment. I must concur with
              Andrew that the shot of locomotive #8 that Mal stated says the
              handwriting on the back says Mina is not Mina. To the rear of the
              loco is the a portion of the S.P. engine facility in Colax, which is
              very close in appearance to the facility at Mina.Maybe this caused
              the mis-label. The dead give-a-way is the cliff over the pilot of the
              loco. There are no such cliffs in the Mina yard. Just other
              structures and sage with a few trees.
              Also, correct me if I am wrong, if there would have been a S.P to
              N.C.N.G. 2-8-0 at Mina, as the discussed photo, would this not have
              been N.C.N.G.#9 (the 2nd #1 on the S.P.N.G.), the other 2-8-0, which
              arrived on the N.C.N.G. from the S.P. in 1933. I dont think the #8
              was on the S.P.N.G. The only other 2-8-0 on S.P. was # 13 which was
              scrapped in 1927. I am new on the N.C.N.G. so any additional input
              would be great.

              Anyway, I am personally greatful to Mal for sharing his collection
              with us mislabeled or not. Look what its got us doing, research, just
              another part of being a rail-buff. I love it!!

              Dennis
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 27, 2007
                Dennis,

                If you look there is a photo of #9 Mal has a caption stating as being
                in Grass Valley when it is in fact Colfax as well, the white fence on
                the top of the hill in the background and larger water pipe give it
                away. I have seen many a photo of Colfax captioned completely wrong
                there is at least one photograph in the Searls Library in Nevada City,
                CA which was labeled as Grass Valley when it was Colfax and during the
                final rebuilding of the yard none the less. There was another photo
                showing Hobart Estates #7 hauling a long train over an impressive
                trestle which is captioned "NCNG 7". Worst of all, these were recently
                captioned by volunteers in the past few years. Silly captions aside,
                Mal did a great job although I am a bit distraught that he put out a
                number of shots in his articles that I have been using for my
                clandestine NCNG pictorial.

                -=Andrew=-