Re: Pilot and Drivers on Engine #1

  • dmacleod@surewest.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 20, 2006
      Flobarchetti:
      NCNG #1 was built with driver counter weights covering 4 spokes. NCNG #3 was built with driver counter weights covering 5 spokes. Sometime after the 1915 fire that destroyed NCNG #3, they put #3 drivers on #1. That is the reason you see both counter weights on #1. The Kodama 4-4-0 is one Baldwin class size bigger than the NCNG 4-4-0's. 42" smoke box diameter, NCNG had 38". Wheel base was very close, 18' 7" for the Kodama, NCNG 18' 4".
      Doug MacLeod, Roseville,CA nr Sacramento
      http://www.macleodwestern.com/train.html