Re: The Gold Flat Mine

  • EANDPNG@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 17, 2006
      In a message dated 11/13/2006 2:12:29 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
      rioting@... writes:

      Heather, though I have nothing to back it up, I know there is a Town Talk
      road in the Brunswick basin, near where the railroad rightaway is. It is on
      the east side of the freeway. Perhaps that may have been near the townsite
      of Town Talk

      The site of Town Talk was located atop the ridge right where there is a deep
      cut where HY 49 crests between Grass Valley and Nevada City. At this
      location the county road and traction line ran over the top of the NCNG tunnel at
      this location. There was a store and several residences and just below on the
      south slope of the ridge was the Standard Oil and Shell bulk plants as well
      as a team track. The Shell plant was removed to make way for the high way but
      the Standard plant is still in place and used by a plumbing supply business.
      If you want to get an idea of where the tunnel and town site were look at the
      pictures in the Best and Brown books of trains switching Standard plant and
      the fence along the west side of the highway runs down the middle of the
      siding that served the plant.
      Regards,
      Greg Maxwell
      Milwaukie, OR