Re: The Gold Flat Mine

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 13, 2006
      Town Talk is approximately halfway between Grass valley and Nevada
      City where Banner Road crosses Highway 49.

      Heres the topo map:

      http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?
      T=2&S=12&Z=10&X=837&Y=5431&W=3&qs=%7ctown+talk%7cca%7c

      Doug Stuard
      Reston, VA

      --- In NCNGRR@yahoogroups.com, "Loren Miller" <rioting@...> wrote:

      > Heather, though I have nothing to back it up, I know there is a
      Town Talk
      > road in the Brunswick basin, near where the railroad rightaway is.
      It is on

    • EANDPNG@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 17, 2006
        In a message dated 11/13/2006 2:12:29 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
        rioting@... writes:

        Heather, though I have nothing to back it up, I know there is a Town Talk
        road in the Brunswick basin, near where the railroad rightaway is. It is on
        the east side of the freeway. Perhaps that may have been near the townsite
        of Town Talk

        The site of Town Talk was located atop the ridge right where there is a deep
        cut where HY 49 crests between Grass Valley and Nevada City. At this
        location the county road and traction line ran over the top of the NCNG tunnel at
        this location. There was a store and several residences and just below on the
        south slope of the ridge was the Standard Oil and Shell bulk plants as well
        as a team track. The Shell plant was removed to make way for the high way but
        the Standard plant is still in place and used by a plumbing supply business.
        If you want to get an idea of where the tunnel and town site were look at the
        pictures in the Best and Brown books of trains switching Standard plant and
        the fence along the west side of the highway runs down the middle of the
        siding that served the plant.
        Regards,
        Greg Maxwell
        Milwaukie, OR