RE: The Gold Flat Mine

  • Loren Miller
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 13, 2006
      Heather, though I have nothing to back it up, I know there is a Town Talk
      road in the Brunswick basin, near where the railroad rightaway is. It is on
      the east side of the freeway. Perhaps that may have been near the townsite
      of Town Talk.

      Get today's hot entertainment gossip
      http://movies.msn.com/movies/hotgossip?icid=T002MSN03A07001
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 13, 2006
        Town Talk is approximately halfway between Grass valley and Nevada
        City where Banner Road crosses Highway 49.

        Heres the topo map:

        http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?
        T=2&S=12&Z=10&X=837&Y=5431&W=3&qs=%7ctown+talk%7cca%7c

        Doug Stuard
        Reston, VA

      • EANDPNG@AOL.COM
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 17, 2006
          In a message dated 11/13/2006 2:12:29 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
          rioting@... writes:

          Heather, though I have nothing to back it up, I know there is a Town Talk
          road in the Brunswick basin, near where the railroad rightaway is. It is on
          the east side of the freeway. Perhaps that may have been near the townsite
          of Town Talk

          The site of Town Talk was located atop the ridge right where there is a deep
          cut where HY 49 crests between Grass Valley and Nevada City. At this
          location the county road and traction line ran over the top of the NCNG tunnel at
          this location. There was a store and several residences and just below on the
          south slope of the ridge was the Standard Oil and Shell bulk plants as well
          as a team track. The Shell plant was removed to make way for the high way but
          the Standard plant is still in place and used by a plumbing supply business.
          If you want to get an idea of where the tunnel and town site were look at the
          pictures in the Best and Brown books of trains switching Standard plant and
          the fence along the west side of the highway runs down the middle of the
          siding that served the plant.
          Regards,
          Greg Maxwell
          Milwaukie, OR