The Gold Flat Mine

  • Heather
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 12, 2006
      I show Edward(ED)G Skewes was at one time Superintendent of The Gold
      Flat Mine . I have a piece of paper i found amongstmy family history
      with chicken scratches on it .Can anyone confirm if it was so? Also Has
      anyone heard of a place called TOWN TALK , CA ..It's no longer a town
      but I am not finding any hisstorical info on this place .. I am showing
      a Birth of a Frank Skewes in Town Talk , CA..Is their a web address for
      information on The Gold Flat mine around 1860 or so or Twon Talk , CA

      Thank you
      Heather Skewes
    • Loren Miller
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 13, 2006
        Heather, though I have nothing to back it up, I know there is a Town Talk
        road in the Brunswick basin, near where the railroad rightaway is. It is on
        the east side of the freeway. Perhaps that may have been near the townsite
        of Town Talk.

        Get today's hot entertainment gossip
        http://movies.msn.com/movies/hotgossip?icid=T002MSN03A07001
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 13, 2006
          Town Talk is approximately halfway between Grass valley and Nevada
          City where Banner Road crosses Highway 49.

          Heres the topo map:

          http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?
          T=2&S=12&Z=10&X=837&Y=5431&W=3&qs=%7ctown+talk%7cca%7c

          Doug Stuard
          Reston, VA

        • EANDPNG@AOL.COM
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 17, 2006
            In a message dated 11/13/2006 2:12:29 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
            rioting@... writes:

            Heather, though I have nothing to back it up, I know there is a Town Talk
            road in the Brunswick basin, near where the railroad rightaway is. It is on
            the east side of the freeway. Perhaps that may have been near the townsite
            of Town Talk

            The site of Town Talk was located atop the ridge right where there is a deep
            cut where HY 49 crests between Grass Valley and Nevada City. At this
            location the county road and traction line ran over the top of the NCNG tunnel at
            this location. There was a store and several residences and just below on the
            south slope of the ridge was the Standard Oil and Shell bulk plants as well
            as a team track. The Shell plant was removed to make way for the high way but
            the Standard plant is still in place and used by a plumbing supply business.
            If you want to get an idea of where the tunnel and town site were look at the
            pictures in the Best and Brown books of trains switching Standard plant and
            the fence along the west side of the highway runs down the middle of the
            siding that served the plant.
            Regards,
            Greg Maxwell
            Milwaukie, OR