Re: Hi I'm researching my family history

  • Harry A Marnell
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 11, 2006
      Hi Heather,

      I don't believe he was the FIRST superintendent, but your great grandfather WAS
      their first conductor and later a superintendent:

      In Gerald Best's "Nevada County Narrow Gauge" it says, about the Nevada County
      Traction Company (the trolley line between Grass Valley and Nevada City)...

      "Edward Skewes of Town Talk and George Keller of Nevada City were the first
      conductors" at page 76

      and

      "Edward Skewes, the first conductor, became the Superin­tendent in due time, and
      served until the finish" (1924) p 77

      And, on p. 78 "A severe snowstorm which started on New Year's Day, 1924,
      completely blocked the line by January 3, and Superintendent Skewes suspended
      service until the snowdrifts could be cleared. Later that day, John Martin
      ordered all service discon­tinued permanently - this was the perfect excuse he
      needed to cease operations. "

      Separately, and you may already have this, the California death records list an
      "Edward G Skewes" born in Alabama on 9/11/1880, and dying in San Mateo, CA on
      5/5/1962.

      There's also a listing for Charles Edward Skewes, born in Alabama 2/13/1890, and
      date of death of 4/17/1946 in Nevada County, CA.

      Hope that helps

      Harry